Header fail, stock manifold time!

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
So I pretty much gave up on my summit header thing. I should have just saved and bought ones built for my car. You live and you learn right? I wish the stock driver side manifold wasn’t so ugly. Hopefully bring the car to the exhaust shop next weekend

I mean, I’ve had to do extensive modifications with the fire and speed wrenches. I originally had 62-65 B-Body manifolds in my 440 Dakota. The driver had slight clearance issues with steering shaft and the passenger side was hanging up on the a arm. After some heat, pounding, and a dewalt drill bag fire we are in business. Got any pics of your situation?

I think we all read the exhaust forums. Everyone on here says TTI or Dougs. There is a reason for it. Save the aggravation and spend the money. Well worth it.

Ok going to need a back story here? What car, motor trans and headers are you dealing with?
1967 dart 318/904. Bought the headers on summit for $150. Just can’t get them to fit. Spent a day tried everything I could think of. Jacked up the motor, moved the motor to the side with a big bar, pulled all kinds of stuff off the motor trying to make it fit. I think they are just too big. One guy said the only way he got them in is pulling the motor

I think we all read the exhaust forums. Everyone on here says TTI or Dougs. There is a reason for it. Save the aggravation and spend the money. Well worth it.
Absolutely, I think when I put new heads in the motor and a bunch of other stuff I want to do I’ll buy some Doug’s or TTI. until then I’m going to get some simple exhaust put on it and drive the dam thing

1967 dart 318/904. Bought the headers on summit for $150. Just can’t get them to fit. Spent a day tried everything I could think of. Jacked up the motor, moved the motor to the side with a big bar, pulled all kinds of stuff off the motor trying to make it fit. I think they are just too big. One guy said the only way he got them in is pulling the motor
2 things:
  1. I've installed lots of cheap headers, they've all fit. Steering arm goes through them so needs disconnected, and remove starter, raise motor like you said.
  2. If you go stock manifolds, go early 70's B-body. That will eliminate the "ugly" drivers side manifold

My TTI’s went right in. Never put a scratch on them. Centerlink off, jack motor and the secret,.....from underneath!!

My TTI’s went right in. Never put a scratch on them. Centerlink off, jack motor and the secret,.....from underneath!!
In fact, this is how you install them all. I've done 100 dollar Cyclones (remember them?), 135 dollar hedmans, etc. Power steering or manual. No issues. Yes, I've had to put a small ding in a couple. Oh, I bought a set of Dougs, and they fit better "on", but didn't go "on" any easier.

In fact, this is how you install them all. I've done 100 dollar Cyclones (remember them?), 135 dollar hedmans, etc. Power steering or manual. No issues. Yes, I've had to put a small ding in a couple. Oh, I bought a set of Dougs, and they fit better "on", but didn't go "on" any easier.

Thats correct. The top notch headers dont hang low.

99$ chinebay special. They gave me 3/8 bolts with 10mm heads. But at the end of the day, the motor is in, and it steers
2F6624AD-22C3-4D3B-9540-79BE8D533AF5.jpeg

Buy the good headers, Doug's or TTI.
headers aren't worth much if you have to crimp them shut to get them in or when you drive with them.

2 things:
  1. I've installed lots of cheap headers, they've all fit. Steering arm goes through them so needs disconnected, and remove starter, raise motor like you said.
  2. If you go stock manifolds, go early 70's B-body. That will eliminate the "ugly" drivers side manifold

Me too! Some hang a little low, but as long as you don't ghetto your crap out in the weeds, they work well. I've probably installed over ten sets for me and others with no issues at all.

D
2 things:
o you know anywhere that sells the early 70s b body manifolds? I kinda liked ones around today and didn’t have much luck

D

o you know anywhere that sells the early 70s b body manifolds? I kinda liked ones around today and didn’t have much luck
this site, ebay, craigslist, a junk 4 door sitting in the weeds, you get the point

-
Back