header to motor mount clearance

-

sport74

Reaction score
I have a 5.9 magnum I'm building a 408 stroker out of and my question is about header clearance to the truck motor mounts. I have hooker 5116 headers and I have read on the magnum swap page that the truck mounts have to be ground down to clear the headers. Anyone have this issue before? If so how much did you remove and pics would be great. The block is at the machinist and it's a bit of a ride to go down there to mock it all up and realize I have wasted my time.
Thanks FABO

I dunno - I bought a 2001 5.2L out of a Ram truck and bolted the original car brackets to the block. The engine dropped right in using the 68 motor mounts. I have read about grinding the block, though. I guess I'm no help. Maybe I put the brackets on the wrong side. LOL
I have an extra 5.2 block and the original 318 block. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and see what is the difference. Maybe that will help. I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

I think he's talking about the truck mounts. we use the front mount ears for the swap where the truck used the center pad. you do have to grind some of this off for some header clearance. dave.

Not using the truck mounts..... Just the truck mounting pad interfering with the headers

Honestly i'm not sure how much i took off. My friend and I just used the headers to mock up and grind until it had enough clearance.

-
Back