Header Wrap By Starter

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting some heat soak in my started I think....
The car cranks over great when cold, but kinda "chugs" the starter when fully warmed up.

I'm going to wrap the header in the area near the starter....

The question, I've never used header wrap....how do I secure the end? Bis a$$ hose clamp or ????

Anything else I should know or consider?

Thanks!

Jeff

The car cranks over great when cold, but kinda "chugs" the starter when fully warmed up.

The question, I've never used header wrap....how do I secure the end? Bis a$$ hose clamp or ????

Thanks!

Jeff
s/steel straps, usually get a few w/ the header wrap.

Couldn't you just go with the Ford Solenoid. If your solenoid is getting too hot a Ford solenoid should solve your problem. Otherwise they do sell these special stainless steel ""skinny" straps for header wrap. I think I might have some left over??

treblig

Couldn't you just go with the Ford Solenoid. If your solenoid is getting too hot a Ford solenoid should solve your problem. Otherwise they do sell these special stainless steel ""skinny" straps for header wrap. I think I might have some left over??

treblig

What are "skinny straps" Haven't heard of that???

Jeff

What are "skinny straps" Haven't heard of that???

Jeff
They sell a skinny SS strap that looks a lot nicer than the old school hose clamps. The skinny SS straps have a self locking feature that doesn't require that big screw mechanism. I'd have to take time and dig some out to take a pic but you can find them for sale at Summit or any even ebay.

Treblig

They sell a skinny SS strap that looks a lot nicer than the old school hose clamps. The skinny SS straps have a self locking feature that doesn't require that big screw mechanism. I'd have to take time and dig some out to take a pic but you can find them for sale at Summit or any even ebay.

Treblig

Thanks....I did some Google-ing and I think I see what you're talking about.....I think I'll order some when I order the wrap.....

This should solve my slow cranking when warm I think...?!!!

Jeff

Thanks....I did some Google-ing and I think I see what you're talking about.....I think I'll order some when I order the wrap.....

This should solve my slow cranking when warm I think...?!!!

Jeff
If it doesn't solve the problem you'll still have the Ford Solenoid solution, that's what I used on Barracuda. When the solenoid gets too hot it drags making the starter crank real slow.

If it doesn't solve the problem you'll still have the Ford Solenoid solution, that's what I used on Barracuda. When the solenoid gets too hot it drags making the starter crank real slow.

How does that work?
I mount a Ford solenoid up on the fender, but what do I do about the solenoid on the starter?

Jeff

How does that work?
I mount a Ford solenoid up on the fender, but what do I do about the solenoid on the starter?

Jeff
You simply bypass it. I'm sure there's tons of videos on youtube because many, many hot rodders usually have the same problem.

Cool.....I'll check that out if the wrap doesn't work....

Thanks!

Jewff
I set my 505 up w/ a ford solenoid to start with. It took a dump and I went back to the stock mopar unit, as an added plus , I now have a neutral starter switch, didn`t before.

Thanks!

Jeff

I've used it many times.

The header wrap company sells metal zip ties for this exact purpose.

Or you could go with a starter heat shield wrap.

download (1).jpeg

good news is the header wrap will benefit you in more ways than just heat shielding the starter.

That may be the way to go....?!!!

Jeff
I used it on a full size starter with headers and it solved my heat soak problem. Switch to a mini starter and still use it just to be safe.

What headers do you have that are so close to a mini starter you are having hot start issues?
They are Doug's D453s.....
They aren't all that close but I can't figure out why I only have this issue when it's hot....???

Jeff

When using a Starter Heat Shield wrap, is there an issue with having a "metallic" wrap touching the 2 starter cable terminals?

100_7425.JPG

-
Back