Headers and brake lines

-

66dartman

Reaction score
One thing I can say abou the Dougs headers: They put the tubes really close to the brake lines. Whoever designed them did a great job finding places for the tubes to run but it puts them whithin 1/4" of the brake lines and prop valve. I will wrap them where I can, but I was going to try the Wilwood high temp brake fluid also. Any one had any luck using the high boiling point fluid in systems that are close to headers? I have had no experience with hyd brakes and heat, and I don't have any more room to move the lines more than I already have.

Dart Man
Maybe you could try re-routing the affected brake lines, by putting in a longer piece,(or pieces) and move the lines and prop valve away from the heat. That will not effect operation of the brakes, and it will keep them cool.

Dave C.

Got any photos? I'm in the process of upgrading to the lightweight dual master cylinder on my 66 Barracuda. I have removed the fatory K-H proportioning valve. I'll be using a Wilwood proportioning valve. I'm planning on Doug's Headers in the future, so I'm making my own brake lines which will hopefully clear the header tubes.

Lee
1966 Barracuda
340 4 speed

I almost forgot. Regarding brake fluid, if you use DOT5 silicone brake fluid, it has a much higher boiling point than DOT3 or 4. Plus, it doesn't absorb moisture or destroy paint when it gets spilled. Just make sure to flush the entire system of the old stuff by bleeding the system throughly.

Lee

Lee,
I will try to take some photos but my camera is not that good. As far as the Doug's headers, they are great, just tight in some spots. Better call Doug's/Pertronix and see if they have made any new sets. They were going to build them on an as-needed basis is what I last heard. I got lucky and found a set about 6 months ago.
Jeff

lilcuda said:
Lee
1966 Barracuda
340 4 speed

Hmm,
My name is Lee and I'm running a four speed in an early A-body also. Too cool.

I envy you guys on running under chassis headers. I went fenderwell a long time ago. At that time you couldn't get under chassis headers. My headers are real close to the master cylinder. I don't even have enough room use that V shield. I'm going to use the Dot 5 stuff in hopes of not boiling the brake fluid.

Lee

It's cool that there are others with a similar setup as mine. I hope to get some photos of my car and post them soon. Been too busy with other stuff to pay much attention to my car lately. :sad:

Lee
1966 Barracuda
340 4 speed

Take a look at my engine compartment on the photo gallery. Someone in the early 80 s put that bracket on there to lift and locate the master closer to the FRONT OF THE CAR which helps keep temps way down! I ll post better pic s tomarrow. Oh yeah you have under chassis headers. lilcuda and moparlee take note.

Why do you keep bringing up these old posts?LOLThis one is 5 yrs old,maybe check dates on threads before replying.This isn,t the only one you,ve brought up from years gone by.Just sayin..

-
Back