headers for 340 stroker

-

pat d

Reaction score
looking for headers for my 340 stroker . i currently have hooker 1 5/8s how much will these hurt output of my new build was looking for other options besides tti , the car is mainly for street use and the strip once in a while

The tti's are probably the best bet all around.
If there a bit much for you now, wait on it.
The 1-5/8 headers will do. Just keep the exhaust as free flowing as possible.

As a member here once said about this;

IQ52;
Yep, we ran the TTI headers and Summit Racing $136 headers on the dyno. The TTI headers averaged one horsepower more than the Summit headers from 3000-6000 rpm and, if I remember correctly, the TTI headers made 10 horsepower more @ 6,300 rpm. And we only had to pay $526 more for the TTI headers.
Of course, everything is in the combo. What is yours?

The hookers will work good for a street car but we need more info besides 340 stroker like cam c.r . intended use ,heads all that good stuff .

my current combo is a 340 .30 0ver 4.00 crank i beam[ rods not sure on size]basic 416 flat top pistons pro comp heads 65cc ported .air gap intake and a old 700 dbbl pumper. i have not pick a cam out yet looking at voodo cam solid 272/280- 546/566 or 280/288 -566/586 need to figure out the comp .727 trans 9''converter 410s out back 28'' tire

It's over 400 ci, I would go 1 7/8 minimum regardless of use, on the advice of my engine builder.

Are you talking the 5116 headers?

they hang very low and will scrap on curbs and speed bumps. Eventually the low pipe will become over 50% crushed and when it reaches only 30% of what it used to be, it will be leaking from the pipe getting worn through...

Other than that, they're great....

who makes 1 7/8 headers and how much ,i know this sounds dumb but do not want to spend 700 $ for 10hp

a 1 7/8 header over a 1 5/8 will make more than 10 hp. we changed from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, gained two solid tenths and two MPH across the board!!!! figures to be about 20 hp.

who makes 1 7/8 headers and how much ,i know this sounds dumb but do not want to spend 700 $ for 10hp

Look to Hedman.
Yes, headers are expensive, at least the kind of headers where you actually make power from. Real headers cost money. Custom headers should out perform OOTB headers and will cost 3X's the price easy of those expensive $700 headers you want to avoid.

The best header for you and the compromise are tti headers into a 3 inch exhaust.
It will perform well.

Look to Hedman.
Yes, headers are expensive, at least the kind of headers where you actually make power from. Real headers cost money. Custom headers should out perform OOTB headers and will cost 3X's the price easy of those expensive $700 headers you want to avoid.
The best header for you and the compromise are tti headers into a 3 inch exhaust.
It will perform well.

Right on rumblfish360 well said, that's everything I've been told. Spend the money on good headers. No one likes to spend that much money on headers but from what I keep hearing it's money well spent.

I hear ha! Was way back I spend 3X's the money plus when going from normal headers to Hooker Super Comps for my E body. The thought of (the then expensive) $300+ headers was killing me. But once in.... Ohhhh boy! Never again will the one size fits all be used, NEVER AGAIN!

The A body isn't as lucky as the B & E body. It's Doug's or tti.
Doug's for the general and high performance engines.
TTI's for the high performance engines and they can really help with the higher HP search mills.

It's so worth the money!

-
Back