Headers for '68 Barracuda 340

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting headers on my stock 340-S Barracuda.
Any suggestions....brand, painted/ceramic/chrome, where to buy?
Also, what should I use from headers back to tips?

Thanks.

My 67 Barracuda had Hooker headers. They were low to the ground and beat up pretty bad. They was installed by the PO and I don't believe he would slow down for speed bumps. I installed a fresh 360 and used the Hookers to break the motor in. After break in I removed the Hookers and installed polished ceramic coated TTI headers. Took it to the good ole boys muffler shop and had 2.5 exhaust system installed with a X-pipe and reused my Flowmasters.

It's really up to you. The TTI and Doug headers don't hang low and look really good and won't rust. It has been mentioned that these two type headers will not give as good performance but I have not had that problem. When you start asking about headers you will get all kind of responses. I have replied to so many header threads that I'm just about burned out on them LOL! Good luck to whatever you choose.

Thanks.
Will Doug's or TTI's install without cutting fender?
I want to keep original.
Also, how much do I need to spend.....on a budget.

Thanks.
Will Doug's or TTI's install without cutting fender?
I want to keep original.
Also, how much do I need to spend.....on a budget.

Yes
You'll have to come off the hip if you want nice set of headers! Sorry!

Oh, yeah....car has power steering.

Yes

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tuteenhe.html

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02196.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC01492.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01665.jpg

They're expensive but well worth the money spent..tti's,are the way to go then put a nice 2 1/2" h-pipe system with factory tips on it ....

WOW!...thanks for the great pics.
REALLY NICE MOTOR!
Couldn't tell, did you have to cut into fenders at all?
Where to buy?....how much?

Thanks.

WOW!...thanks for the great pics.
REALLY NICE MOTOR!
Couldn't tell, did you have to cut into fenders at all?
Where to buy?....how much?

Thanks.

No cutting anywhere.

I posted a link above but here it is again:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/tuteenhe.html

That's where I got mine. Keep in mind that headers aren't just going to fall in... 99% of the time there has to be some modifications in order for them to fit. This is true with cheap or high quality headers. I had to modify my z-bar just a bit.

I have a 68 convert. with a 340. and in my eagerness I went and bought Headmen's. For the price they are great.

BUT MAN, they hang low and scrap everywhere...

speed bump, slant into/ out of a drive way

a little dip in the road when crusing at speed...

In hindsight, I wish I would have waited, saved up and bought the doug's or TTI's, which ever I found locally for cheapier...

Shane

Dougs or tti are the choices that don't hang low

Dougs are less expensive and a solid piece. I've run both brands and would pick Dougs every time based on my experience.

You can get a painted set of dougs for about $400, coated are in the $575 range

Oh, yeah....car has power steering.

On a budget... use the Hooker 5901's Yes, they hang a little lower on the driver's side but unless you've dropped your suspension to the bump stops you'll be ok. Also, the 5901's fit tighter to the block than heddmans and will clear P/S better. I got a brand new set in the box on Ebay for $119.00

I just ordered a set of Doug's from Pertronix. They were all of 5 bucks cheaper - woo hoo! Shipping was just 25 bucks but they also have a deal where shipping wil be free if you have them send them to a local vendor. Unfortunately I had to get mine shipped direct.
BTW - If you don't buy the coated ones they WILL rust. I paid an extra $175 for the coated ones, money well spent IMO.

When I bought my Dougs about a month ago Jegs ended being cheaper than Summit or Pertronix. First purchase I ever made from Jegs, but it went very smooth and I was pleased with the service. Real happy with the headers too.

I have the TTIs on mine and they hang nice and high and don't hit anything.

UnderCar.jpg

Headers1_cropped.JPG

-
Back