Headers For "A" B-Body W/360

-

12many

Reaction score
I know there's quite a few here who are experienced with 78-79 Magnums (and late B-bodies in general) My son has a 78 Magnum with a 360, which already has 2-1/4" duals but he wants some headers that fit good. Anyone have good recommendations for brands that fit the LA engine late B's? Summit, Patriot, Doug's etc. More affordable the better in this case. Thanks

I have owned 2 Magnums. Only a short gap of not owning one between the two cars. 20 years total time with those car(s). Both ‘79’s

I have not tried or seen Dougs or TTI headers on the these cars. I have used twice now Hooker Super Competition headers that are a 1-3/4 tube into a 3 inch collector. I’ll stick with there excellent no issue fit.

The Hookers fit B & E body cars, auto or manual trans except IF you have a Lakewood scatter shield. Hooker will need and TTI suggests cutting the scattersheild to fit the headers. I just dented the inter fearing pipe on my 360 4spd Cuda.

TTI for certain list on there site that there headers fit. IDK about Doug’s.

You’ll hve to price check the headers on how is cheaper. But all three I mentioned are not $89 cheapies. You’ll pay and be very happy you did on the fitment.

The Hookers are a straight 1-3/4 tube smoothly bent. A nice header as far as I’m concerned. There best suited to high HP engines, but, I have used a stock 318 2bbl. In the Magnum and the Hookers without I’ll effect. Even with 2.76 gears, the engine didn’t suffer any noticeable power loss and moved the car no problem.

The TTI headers are stepped headers and normally give a low to mid rpm torque advantage. This may be an attractive item depending on what your doing and what you want.

Also, IMO & if the cost is t to much, step up to a 2-1/2 exhaust pipe size. TTI has a full system from header collector to bumper. With or without the Dyno Max Super Turbo mufflers. True duals, H & X pipes.

I know there expensive but the quality fit will help you forget.

Any of the other header designs are just copies (maybe with a tweak?) of the original crap header design with little QC effort. So fitting one in with a good fit is a dice roll.

Last edited:
I agree with rumblefish, I've also owned a couple of Magnums, one 79 XE, & a 78 GT both with 360s in them. I tried to run the cheap headers on my first one (79 XE) & found out real quick how cheap they are. I went to the Hookers & never looked back, TTI's weren't around at that time of my life.

I agree with rumblefish, I've also owned a couple of Magnums, one 79 XE, & a 78 GT both with 360s in them. I tried to run the cheap headers on my first one (79 XE) & found out real quick how cheap they are. I went to the Hookers & never looked back, TTI's weren't around at that time of my life.
I’m not sure of TTI was out 20 years ago when I got my first Magnum. They were on my second Magnum, BUT!..... the Hookers has not yet gone up in price and I scored them JUST before they did. I got them at around $300, I think? It’s been so long I forgot the price but I’m still way happy with there fit and quality.

Ether the TTI or the Hookers do not have 3 tubes that go under the steering linkage.

..... Bonus! .....

I agree with Rumble's recommendation for bigger exhaust especially if he has plans for a cam (or already has one?). A big improvement but more cost-saving move would be to get 2-1/2" mid-pipes with some kind of crossover and mufflers but keep the 2-1/4" tailpipes, I think the factory did this on most dual-exhaust cars.

-
Back