Headers

-

Z-dart

Reaction score
Hooker header vs. Clifford research headers ? Any pros and cons ?

Hookers
(-)1 5/8 tube (kinda big considing 1.44 exh valve)
(+)long tuned tubes
(+)Heat Riser
(-)column shift/4 speed stuff has to be modded a bit)
(+)fit all intakes
(+)fits everything except P/B

805moparkid - What is your thing with larger header tubes? I am not trying to attack you or anything like that because I read your post all the time and you have a lot of great knowledge. I just am wondering. If you have some articles on proper header tube size then I would be really interested in reading them.

If he was building a race motor and was looking at proper tuning of everything then header tube size is a big factor but if he just wants a little more power and to be able to run a better exhaust than header tube size is not going to matter that much unless its too small. I am not saying bigger tubes are better but it is better than being too small.

805moparkid - What is your thing with larger header tubes? I am not trying to attack you or anything like that because I read your post all the time and you have a lot of great knowledge. I just am wondering. If you have some articles on proper header tube size then I would be really interested in reading them.

If he was building a race motor and was looking at proper tuning of everything then header tube size is a big factor but if he just wants a little more power and to be able to run a better exhaust than header tube size is not going to matter that much unless its too small. I am not saying bigger tubes are better but it is better than being too small.

i just seems to be coming up alot the last week lol.

anyways no matter the you want it efficient, on a street motor its better to go smaller than bigger (roughly the same size tube as the exhaust valve). going smaller increases velocity and helps evacuate the cylinder which increases tq and low end of the curve at the cost of top end hp. larger tubes lose low end tq, loses velocity.

if your building a street motor it can cost you fuel mileage and alot of drivability...

That makes sense to me and I guess with the slant being a torque motor then correct sizing would be a bennefit. Thanks!

For one guys if I was going to do a race motor it would be a small block ! But I'm not I want to keep this slant in it because it is the original motor with low miles . Just want a dual exhaust for a nice tone , actually I'm thinking now keeping stock manifold and splitting exhaust or just putting a flow master muffler on it . I wouldn't have to worry about rejecting , lose of my automatic choke or header clearance on anything ! Just want a nice sound to her !

Isn't there some called dutra duels? I don't know anyone personally with them, but have seen them somewhere on the net.

go to slantsix.org and talk to the slant six guru himself, Doug Dutra.

go to slantsix.org and talk to the slant six guru himself, Doug Dutra.

Ohhh. I had no idea.
Are they decent with keeping your stock carb? As in, I know you have dual exhaust, but any difference in performance?

From what I can gather, they don't crack like the factory units. And they should have an increase in performance because theres more room for air to exit. He does make them to fit stock intakes too I think, but you should upgrade to a super six setup (two barrel from the mid 70s).

From what I can gather, they don't crack like the factory units. And they should have an increase in performance because theres more room for air to exit. He does make them to fit stock intakes too I think, but you should upgrade to a super six setup (two barrel from the mid 70s).

Thanks for the tip!
I am not looking for a ton of power.
I have a 71, it has 145hp right now. If I can throw some duels on, for better sound and a 2 barrel. And gain even 10hp. I would be happy.

Thats pretty much my plan as well with my DD 64 Valiant wagon, but mines a 3 speed stick and I will probably leave the stock exhaust manifold alone for now. Funny thing is, the super six setup will increase you mpgs too!

Thats pretty much my plan as well with my DD 64 Valiant wagon, but mines a 3 speed stick and I will probably leave the stock exhaust manifold alone for now. Funny thing is, the super six setup will increase you mpgs too!

I will have to look into the Super six set up. You have me wondering about that now.
I have 2:76 gears right now, with a sure grip posi. I think the 3:55's would give me better take off.

-
Back