Headers

-

Rat Bastid

Dunamis Metron
Reaction score
There is some real confusion about headers. So I’m going to post the actual FACTS about Hooker headers and part numbers. There is no reason for anyone to reply to the thread. I post it only for educational purposes.

Here is a picture of the November 1983 HOOKER catalog. You can’t get a better source than this.
974E577E-AF35-49E9-8969-B58CAD276B52.jpeg

Here is page 2 of that catalog. Notice there is no such thing as a “super comp” header. That didn’t start until the real late 1980’s or early 1990’s. It was for marketing purposes.
9C774D9B-6202-4A19-B556-582BE4B6EFF0.jpeg

Also note that there are TWO Competition headers for A bodies with a small block. The 5303 with 1.875 tubes and a 3 inch collector for production heads. And the 5322 with 2 inch tubes and a 3.5 in collector for W2 heads. Both headers are adjustable race headers so they have slip on collectors and they came with 2 different lengths of primary tubes and 18 inch collector extensions. That’s why they are called adjustable race headers. Hooker called them “competition race headers”.

Here is page 9 of that catalog. In 1983 they didn’t even call them the idiotic “super competition” name. They called them what they actually are, which is an “auto header” or a street header.

AAD6787F-7A01-4E03-A6F7-E73A0D8C3600.jpeg
AAD6787F-7A01-4E03-A6F7-E73A0D8C3600.jpeg

Sorry for the double picture. You can see for A body small block stuff there is just TWO part numbers. One is 1.625 tubes and a 3 inch collector. It’s your run of the mill cheap header. I used to know the retail number for the 5116 and I think in 1980 it was about 119 bucks. The 5204 header has 1.75 tubes and a 3 inch collector. The number 1 and 2 tubes on both headers are slip fit BUT its still a street header. They started calling this header “super competition” long after I bought my first set. That 5204 retailed in 1980 for 249 dollars IIRC. In 1984 when I bought my first set of 5303 (competition) headers they were over 600 dollars. That was a lot of money then. Even the 5204’s were considered expensive and not worth the money then.

So there you have it, right from the manufacturer. If you have a Hooker header and the collectors are welded on, it’s a STREET header and it doesn’t matter what the marketing department put on it.

It was the exact same thing with Hedman headers. That was the cheap, didn’t fit worth a **** brand. Hedman Hustler headers were the competition line and the vast majority of those headers were adjustable.

I know this won’t settle it because some will argue anything even with the facts presented as simply as possible.

I have the best success with 5204 1 3/4 by 3 on small blocks
The adj. headers leak like crazy on the street and I always
end up with them the lengths of the collector with flange length.
These also fit fine on my 72 to 88 Ram 100 trucks

I use 5209 2 inch on my big block B/E body. same story on length

I race my bracket cars thru mufflers.

I have a bunch of all the Hooker Header
They used to borrow cars off my Dealership to pattern their headers
and give me a free set each time!

I had no idea anybody was concerned, debating or arguing about marketing names assigned by a header company whom most say are junk and to "go and buy tti headers". Anyone building anything who knows what they're doing does not buy headers based on the marketing term or gimmick...
..they buy based on size and length for their combination.

It's all marketing.
Yep, even back in the 80's when they got their original names.
Point is, people will call them by whatever name they buy them under..
If they buy them as a "competition header", no matter how they are constructed, then that's what they'll call them.

I’m confused. Maybe mad scientist can straighten me out.
I think the whole point of his original post, was that he bought "competition headers" back in the 80's, got a free catalog and can still remember how much they cost.

Well since he's disagreed with my posts, then I'll have another guess.
Maybe Hooker can't call their products whatever they like without his approval..
Or if someone quotes the name written on the box that the part came in, then their misinformed?
Shots in the dark..I know...

Well since he's disagreed with my posts, then I'll have another guess.
Maybe Hooker can't call their products whatever they like without his approval..
Or if someone quotes the name written on the box that the part came in, then their misinformed?
Shots in the dark..I know...
I believe his point is, that regardless of what Hookers "calls" something, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is.

who gives a flying **** what they were called in 1983 (almost 40 ******* years ago) lol. what are they called today in 2022.

I'm sure the clown will probably hit me with the dreaded disagree again too.

I believe his point is, that regardless of what Hookers "calls" something, that doesn't necessarily mean that's what it is.
"Performer" "super stock" "xcellerator"
"Torquer" "speed master" "Big mouth"
"Fireball" "blaster" "rpm" n on n on...

All improvements in specific ways.
Not all above stock however.. and some even below stock perfomance.

Gimmicks

Exactly. And in the other thread the issue was you have your typical Chrysler bubble gummers droning on about the very nice American Racing Headers not fitting power steering and the ever heard and equally dumb “they will hang too low” complaints.

My point was and still is that ANY header that will fit, has the ability to be installed relatively easy, make the engine easier to service AND make real power won’t take power steering. And because of the size of the primary tubes and collectors they will be lower.

Hooker had to change the nomenclature of their street headers to make them move better. Not all of the part numbers got the change either. The 5204 Hooker was NEVER considered a “racing” or performance header. It was and still is (if you can find them) a street header. So they welded the “super comp” tag on the pipe and everyone thought they were getting something other than a basic, run of the mill street header.

It’s as simple as that. If you are going to ***** about how a header installs, fits and works you at least need to be intellectually honest and compare common street headers to the same headers and not compare that street junk to adjustable race headers. The two are two totally separately markets and end users.

And to put a point on this, these two threads are why Chrylser guys are always sucking hind tit when it comes to speed parts. Not one thing has changed since I started doing this in 1980. For the Chrysler guys it always costs too much, is too hard to install, requires extra parts and on and on and on. We are lucky that another company is building a quality header for small block Chrysler guys. We now have a grand total of TWO. ARH and Tubular Automotive. That’s it. Bitching on an open forum about a product that no one here (except one guy and I forget who exactly that was) has seen let alone used. The guy who did use them had ranted about fit, quality and horsepower.

You can’t **** in your own kitchen and expect people to eat at your table. Let that sink in because that is exactly what happens with things like this.

-
Back