Headlight issue

-

Kyle Voeller

Reaction score
Hello, I have been having an issue with my headlights. I replaced the headlight switch around 6 months ago in a 1971 Dodge Dart. Recently, my headlights have been randomly turning off and on in like flickering but completely turning off and on. It happens at random intervals and usually turning off and on the headlight switch will fix it temporarily, any ideas?

Firewall bulkhead connector. Unclip, clean the wire spades and reassemble.

Hello, I have been having an issue with my headlights. I replaced the headlight switch around 6 months ago in a 1971 Dodge Dart. Recently, my headlights have been randomly turning off and on in like flickering but completely turning off and on. It happens at random intervals and usually turning off and on the headlight switch will fix it temporarily, any ideas?
Lots of ideas.
You'll need to check them. A visual check is a good way to start.
A little background. The headlight switch had a 15 amp circuit breaker in it. It resets itself when cool.
The breaker is only for the headlights. The parking lights get power from through the fuse box.
Your car originally was supplied with 6012 sealed beam headlights. 6014 headlights were the typical replacement but drew more current on both low and high beam. This did the wiring no favors as it was only 16 and 18 ga (hence the 15 amp breaker). Some halogen sealed beam replacements draw more current, other draw less on low beam but more on high. Look at the markings on the lens and we can tell you what the lamps are if its not obvious.

Common places to find damage are at:
the headlight sockets themselves.
upload_2019-9-10_8-36-34-png.png

the dimmer switch connector
upload_2020-5-4_17-53-33-png.png

the headlight switch connector

Dana's Dart
mvimg_20200408_184645-jpg.jpg

My 67 Baccaruda
upload_2021-4-30_18-55-2.png

upload_2020-5-4_20-4-52-png.png

Some other possibilities are:
Wires chaffing against edsges of sheet metal. This can happen most easily at the back of the headlight buckets causing a short.

Ground wire issue. Ground wires for the headlamps gets screwed to the front panel the radiator mounts to.

Another thing that could be happening, along with all else, is the headlight switch CONNECTOR could be so bad on the B1 terminal (loose/ corroded) that it is heating up the terminal enough to trip the breaker

Also, CHECK YOUR running system voltage at the battery. Maybe the charging voltage is way too high. Should be nominal 13.5--14.2 and not above 15

By the way Kyle, do you happen to be using some aftermarket headlights that might draw more power than originals?

im having same issue with a 80 model D150!

Lots of ideas.
You'll need to check them. A visual check is a good way to start.
A little background. The headlight switch had a 15 amp circuit breaker in it. It resets itself when cool.
The breaker is only for the headlights. The parking lights get power from through the fuse box.
Your car originally was supplied with 6012 sealed beam headlights. 6014 headlights were the typical replacement but drew more current on both low and high beam. This did the wiring no favors as it was only 16 and 18 ga (hence the 15 amp breaker). Some halogen sealed beam replacements draw more current, other draw less on low beam but more on high. Look at the markings on the lens and we can tell you what the lamps are if its not obvious.

Common places to find damage are at:
the headlight sockets themselves.
View attachment 1715731144

the dimmer switch connector
View attachment 1715731145

the headlight switch connector

Dana's Dart
View attachment 1715731146

My 67 Baccaruda
View attachment 1715731140
View attachment 1715731147

Some other possibilities are:
Wires chaffing against edsges of sheet metal. This can happen most easily at the back of the headlight buckets causing a short.

Ground wire issue. Ground wires for the headlamps gets screwed to the front panel the radiator mounts to.
Any idea where I would be able to find a new headlight switch connecter?

Any idea where I would be able to find a new headlight switch connecter?
I posted a request in the "Wanted" forum and got several responses from people who had used ones in good condition.
I beleive that connector was used on many cars and trucks so its pretty common even though a-body switch is slightly different (15 amp circuit breaker).

I have a new headlamp switch and all new factory type wiring. Don't go out after dark usually, but a week ago same problem as you are having with the headlights. New Chinesium headlight switch, I'll bet on it.

Is there a thread on how to clean these connectors? For example, I am thinking I'd use cleaner like CRC electronic spray, and possibly a small brush, but these female connectors sometimes have the "green dust" corrosion. What's the fix for that replace the wire terminals? I apologize if I being blunt, but I see "clean bulkhead connector" alot, but actually getting it clean,especially the female terminals is rather challnging,if you start digging in them with pick,you might bend them oversize then it's a loose connection etc.

Is there a thread on how to clean these connectors? For example, I am thinking I'd use cleaner like CRC electronic spray, and possibly a small brush, but these female connectors sometimes have the "green dust" corrosion. What's the fix for that replace the wire terminals? I apologize if I being blunt, but I see "clean bulkhead connector" alot, but actually getting it clean,especially the female terminals is rather challnging,if you start digging in them with pick,you might bend them oversize then it's a loose connection etc.
Same terminals are used in many of the connectors including most of the bulkhead ones.
So anything written about them will cover ya.

Here's some
Removing terminals - Engine Compartment Main Bulkhead Connector

Cleaning bulkhead connectors

Sources for Chrysler type wire terminals

Lets Talk Open Barrel Crimpers - Reviews and Discussion

-
Back