headlights

-

Garry

Reaction score
I have a 64 cuda. Some time ago there was talk on the best round headlights, can't find it in the search. Anyone know the best ones to buy ? thanks

GE Nighthawk 6024nh

The relay kits I build work great for improving lighting performance.

At the risk of high-jacking, can someone explain the use of relays? Like 'Relays for Dummies'...

Electricity loses voltage as it travels through wire. The larger gauge and shorter the wires, the more voltage at termination point. Relays allow for a shorter run in some cases. The biggest benefit is replacing the stock 16-18ga wire with 12ga wire. This provides more voltage at the headlights. Headlight performance is not linear with voltage drops, it's exponential. A 10% drop in voltage can result in a 17-20% decrease in light output. Hook a 12 vlot light up to a 6 volt source, it won't likely be putting out 50% of it's output. Probably barely warm the filament.

Basically, the relays handle all the high voltage draw and are placed closer to the headlights. It only takes a small voltage signal from your headlight switch to engage the heavy-duty relay, therefore you are not relying on running the high draw voltage through your old crusty wiring and headlight switch.

Same principle is used to run the high amp electric fans.

There ya go...relays for dummies (like me).

To The original poster, the lights and setup CrackedBack speaks of are really great!

I did this relay upgrade and got Hella headlamps from amazon for a reasonable price, very happy with light now.

I bought one of CrackedBack's kits. They're incredible! Well worth the investment. Very well made, and you're helping a fellow board member out.

Hella or Cibie E-codes are what I hear to be the best aside from a HID retrofit w/ projectors.

If the factory wiring and switches are pristine, you don't need relays for standard bulbs. I use headlamps relays, in a Jeep fuse/relay box (see avatar). For just headlamps, simplest/cheapest might be a kit intended for a radiator fan. Some fan kits have 2 relays for low/high speed, which you need for low & high beam.

Not round but I just installed these 200mm Autopals on my Tacoma and I think they are great considering that the harness is stock and the bulbs are cheapo. They are Hella/Cibie E-Code style but for around $40 shipped for two headlights and four bulbs. The round versions I've seen have a better beam pattern, and is what I'll end up getting for my Barracuda.

run some of these off a relay...@ 250W, they only last about 6 hours though....:)
9129d1285812174-250watt-12-volt-aircraft-landing-lights-dscf1822.jpg

kidding of course...Halogens off a true 13.4V source are bright.

-
Back