Headliner material

Mopar Interiors

1. nodemon

nodemon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:17 PM
    Just received part of my headliner from Classic.. It's a tier grain vinyl material.. When I ordered, I thought when it said vinyl, it would be VINYL.. This is soft, foamy material. Is that what tier grain vinyl is..??? 16229286245504039599111585585865.jpg

2. MoparMike1974

MoparMike1974 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:17 PM
    What car is it for? Most all mopar used fabric headliners. 73 they switched to the hard board. Your picture looks like foam backed felt which is in no way correct.

3. nodemon

Local Time:
    I have a 72 Demon.. Originally hardboard liner.. No one makes those... I was told the ABS with vinyl would be closest.. It's NO WHERE close to what I had.. I'm just wondering if they sent wrong one... Or, does tier grain vinyl mean soft foamed material..

4. MoparMike1974

Local Time:
    Yes, some 72's had the hard headliner. All 73 did.
    The only replacement is the ABS one and you can get it plain or covered in the felt backed material. I was a test fit guinnea pig for those back when they were being developed. Still have the free one they sent in exchange for test fitting. Anyways, on my 73 swinger I ended up using the original board, laminated the topside with a thin layer of fiberglass for strength. Then I covered it in vinyl material. Pic attached. Yep its gator grain material I got from the local JoAnne fabrics.

20190410_175218.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • nodemon

Local Time:
      That looks good..! So, if you get the ABS plain, is there a texture to it at all, or completely smooth. I may send back and just get plain...then do something to it.

• Heywodja

Heywodja The Heartbeat Stops Here FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      My 72 Duster had a hardboard headliner, vinyl floor, no radio.. But it had auto trans, power drum brakes and a 340..

• MoparMike1974

Local Time:
      Its completely smooth. Its just a formed piece of flat ABS. You will want to mount it before covering because it will need some trimming. Start by mounting the dome light in the center and work your way around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.