Headliner

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
My headliner is quite repulsive. Coupled with the blue torn seats, and the blue cracked dash (in my otherwise black interior) it makes for quite an eyesore. I know what need to be done for the seats and dash, but haven't a clue on the headliner, no one seems to talk about them much. Honestly, I am considering just spray painting the thing so it won't bother me anymore.

Yearone has some for 140, thats where im going to get mine from.

i bought one for my barracuda and decided to do it myself....wasn't too bad, and it is the first and only one i've ever done:
site1006.JPG

i'll have to take a better picture sometime, but it wasn't too bad of a job....all it took was patience and being careful about the cuts

Whoops I was tired,Thinking of something else. Check moparts, I saw one on there somewhere that looked pretty good. They shouldnt be to hard to do, if my brother can put one on!!!

I forgot to mention I have the cardboard stuff, I can only find perforated headliners online. Would I be able to tear out my hard cardboard stuff and use a perforated headliner? I would think they would use the same fastening places or however they keep those things up, but I have no idea.

The perforated fabric ones require bows that go from one side of the roof line to the other to hold the material up. You can't swap between the fabric and cardboard ones with ot a lot of extra parts (and I don't know if it's even possible with a Duster).

If the head liner you have is not crumbling apart you could paint it or if you want something a little classier looking buy some material at the local fabric store and use 3M spary adhesive and cover it with cloth.

Its the perforated type with bows.
It looks like it runs under the rubber on the front and rear window.
So do the windows need to come out. I hope not.

pressedham said:
Its the perforated type with bows.
It looks like it runs under the rubber on the front and rear window.
So do the windows need to come out. I hope not.

I did the one on my 68 Barracuda coupe without removing the windows. I purchased a tool from Eastwoods that is designed for tucking the headliner under the rubber window gasket and used 3M contact adhesive. You do need to remove the A-pillar trim and the inside metal trim along the top of the window.

I was told not to worry about wrinkles because they will disappear after a couple of days in the sun. Well that didn't happen. So if you have wrinkles when you are done they likely be there for good.

The toughest place to work is along the C-pillars at the back and it's best if you have a secong set of hands.

BTW, do not mix up the bows, they are all different.

The cardboard headliner is reproduced in ABS plastic now. Check out Dantes reproduction parts and he advertises on www.moparts.com

You could also spray dye it or just glue some foam backed cloth headliner material to it if it's got minor damage.

I made a custom headliner for my 73 Duster 340 sunroof car out of a pattern I was given. A sunroof headliner is slightly different than a hardtop besides the opening.

-
Back