Headman 1 5/8 headers pn#7850 and 4-speed fitment

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Anyone have these on their car with a 4-speed? And if so.. How do they fit? I picked up a set new in the box for $100.00 and thinking of putting them on my 318.

These one's...78500, correct?
Engine Performance & Vehicle Customizing Products From Hedman | Hedman Performance Group

If so......I put them on my '73 Duster ('71 clone), 340/4 speed, power steering & mini starter. Passenger side goes on without a problem (like usual). Drivers side, I removed the motor mount bolt and jacked up engine from underneath a couple of inches.....bolted them on, dropped engine back down, replaced motor mount bolt.
I forget why I had to jack it up......most likely ease of installation, as I put them on laying on garage floor. :icon_fU:

These one's...78500, correct?
Engine Performance & Vehicle Customizing Products From Hedman | Hedman Performance Group

If so......I put them on my '73 Duster ('71 clone), 340/4 speed, power steering & mini starter. Passenger side goes on without a problem (like usual). Drivers side, I removed the motor mount bolt and jacked up engine from underneath a couple of inches.....bolted them on, dropped engine back down, replaced motor mount bolt.
I forget why I had to jack it up......most likely ease of installation, as I put them on laying on garage floor. :icon_fU:
Those are "Shorty" headers. The others are full length and a quite different. Appreciate the reply.

Those are "Shorty" headers. The others are full length and a quite different. Appreciate the reply.

Ya, fitment will be quite a bit different with full length.........LOL. Sorry for wrong info :realcrazy: ......the shorty's were the only ones that popped up on Hedman site and no long tubes & I recognized the part number.

Read the instructions, you'll be dropping the center link and a tie rod!

4 speed stuff/clutch linkage is not an issue.

I dislike those headers and all the hooker copies with a passion... #5 & 7 plug wires are a pain as well.

520-5901.jpg

Last edited:

I dislike those headers and all the hooker copies with a passion... #5 & 7 plug wires are a pain as well.

View attachment 1715343813
I know they are junk... but they were brand new and free.., so before I decide to put them in I thought I would get some input. They are going on my 318 with a 3 speed.

I know they are junk... but they were brand new and free.., so before I decide to put them in I thought I would get some input. They are going on my 318 with a 3 speed.
They'll be fine.
Pain the get on. In regards to them hanging low...it helps if the car has some 15" +tires, front suspension stock height and in good shape because 2 of the drivers side tubes will hit deep swails, steep driveways etc.
One time I used a nail weld gun and sent puller to fix mine....another time I cut wheel the bottom face of the 2 tubes ...reshaped and welded a patch over each. Did all that because they're a pain in the *** to replace. LOL.
I found the tti's are about as much a pain in the *** to install in a 4 spd car.
90° oil filter has to come off, if you use of Lakewood bellhousing you have to either grind the bellhousing lipof off or ding the header on the passenger side and then the driver side you have to cut and move the arm over on the z bar and grind the back side off of it some... barely fits/moves between header tube and late mini starter, barely clears power steering box.by 3/8", center link still comes out, motor still lifted up, brackets removed for side to side movement.... but you don't smash them on dips and therefore don't have to change them.

Last edited:
They'll be fine.
Pain the get on. In regards to them hanging low...it helps if the car has some 15" +tires, front suspension stock height and in good shape because 2 of the drivers side tubes will hit deep swails, steep driveways etc.
One time I used a nail weld gun and sent puller to fix mine....another time I cut wheel the bottom face of the 2 tubes ...reshaped and welded a patch over each. Did all that because they're a pain in the *** to replace. LOL.
I found the tti's are about as much a pain in the *** to install in a 4 spd car.
90° oil filter has to come off, if you use of Lakewood bellhousing you have to either grind the bellhousing lipof or ding the header on the passenger side and then the driver side you have to move the over on the z bar and grind the back side off of it some... barely fits/moves between late mini starter, barely clears power steering box.by 3/8", center link still comes out, motor still lifted up, brackets removed for side to side movement.... but you don't smash them on dips and therefore don't have to change them.
Thanks for the input bud. Yea I have used both TTI and Doug's in the past, but for this project it's all about low budget fun.

View attachment 1715343813

Ya, I have Hookers on my Demon and they suck royally for #5 & #7.....tough even to get the plugs in and out.....and plug wires are set to cook up.....have put hedder wrap and boot protectors on.

Anyone have these on their car with a 4-speed? And if so.. How do they fit? I picked up a set new in the box for $100.00 and thinking of putting them on my 318.
Schumacher seems to be the best now, cheaper then TTI, dont hang down, dont have to touch the header to change the starter,a tri-Y header bout 600 or so, nice parts

-
Back