Heads up on FBO Boxes

-

69 Barracuda vert

Reaction score
I bought their ignition box (HRR688) and the Pertronix coil together and a distributor from HallifaxHops and the harness from YearOne. I started the car and it ran wonderful long enough for me to time the engine and then it shut off and would not start again. I checked the coil and I had spark and fuel just would not start. I had deleted the ballast resistor so that was not the issue so, I called FBO and told Dana my story. She told me they had received calls and knows that they have received a bad batch of parts and are working to figure what has happened to cause this. She said this has never happened before that the car runs for 2 minutes and shuts off and won't restart. She called me 2 weeks later and said it was the computer boards and they are now back to building the boxes and will send me a replacement when ready. Just wanted to let folks know if you have been having problems with your ignition. Just a heads up.

There is a huge semiconductor shortage right now. Probably used a replacement component that wasn't the same spec or got some grey market parts. There are places that strip used boards and resell the components, sometimes as new. Then there are the knock offs...

I bought their ignition box (HRR688) and the Pertronix coil together and a distributor from HallifaxHops and the harness from YearOne. I started the car and it ran wonderful long enough for me to time the engine and then it shut off and would not start again. I checked the coil and I had spark and fuel just would not start. I had deleted the ballast resistor so that was not the issue so, I called FBO and told Dana my story. She told me they had received calls and knows that they have received a bad batch of parts and are working to figure what has happened to cause this. She said this has never happened before that the car runs for 2 minutes and shuts off and won't restart. She called me 2 weeks later and said it was the computer boards and they are now back to building the boxes and will send me a replacement when ready. Just wanted to let folks know if you have been having problems with your ignition. Just a heads up.
Excellent to hear this. Chrysler should take note!
Bad Orange boxes years back set off a lot of people.

Says a lot for FBO that they just owned the problem right off the bat and are working to make it right. A rare display these days. I've had one of their boxes on a Dart for 5 years and it has worked flawlessly.

I had one of they're box's go out on me a few years ago, Don replaced it fast. Good company to get our parts from.
I heard Don retired.
Dave

I’ll second that. FBO works hard to keep things right. Dana is a sweetly and Don has always been stand up.

I have had a problem with his set up. Ran fine for awhile, then under wot nothing but violent misfiring. Switched back to my chrome mopar set up. Don said it was probably my new MSD wires were failing. He recommended Petronics Flame thrower wires, I got the ones with the porcelain ends. Went out for a burger with his combo back in, no wot throttle. Went out to go home and car would not start. Got a ride home and reinstalled my chrome mopar set up. Sent my coil and module to Don for a check. He did not call me, but talked with Mike at B3, I bought it from Mike. Mike called me and we went over some things to try and find my issue. Haven't had time to start testing, just got my module and coil back with no correspondence. Busy with with vacation and life at the moment, will let everyone know what I find out. I liked the FBO till these failures started. I have all new OEM wiring, plug and play. Something is going on, will get to it soon. They believe that the problem is on my end.

Last edited:
-
Back