Heads

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of heads off of a late 70's 360. These are open chamber heads with small valves. What I am wondering is. Would these heads be a good choice to use if I gasket match the intake ports and get a set of 2.02 valves installed? This would be in a 6-71 blower setup on a 318/340/360.

Jack

What is the performance goal of the build?

With the exception of the valve size and the small hump in the exhaust port for the air injection they are the same as the the early 340/360 heads.

Whether that is adequate for your goals is another question.

i like using the 1.88 head, and installing the 2.02. If you already have a 2.02 that has had a few VJ's the valves are usually sunk, then i would go to a 2.05 valve. With a blower i don't think you have to worry to much how the head flow for the street.

heads should be fine, just go 2.02 or 2.05 bowl work, slim down the push rod hump, and gasket match. Since its blown the air will be forced through, I would worry more about the block( if using a stock one)

Most everything I read tells me the stock block should be fine as long as I don't over bore it and as long as I use good bolts(ARP).

Jack

550 HP is right at the limit for a stock block and 600 is pushing it. You should be using billet main caps and a mains girdle at that more level in a stock block.

550 HP is right at the limit for a stock block and 600 is pushing it. You should be using billet main caps and a mains girdle at that more level in a stock block.

Or, just build a turbocharged slant six. There are a couple of those engines whose owners frequent this BB whose engines make around 500 HP without anything in the way of main bearing supports, or girdles.

A turbocharged slant 6 is capable of mid-10s in a 3,000-pound A Body, partially because the engine is about 100 pounds lighter than a normally-aspirated 340/360. With aluminum heads, intake, and lightweight headers on the V8s, that may not be true.:sign10:

The head on our /6 car weighs 84 pounds! Sure wish somebody.... ~ANYBODY~ would come up with an aluminum head for this thing.... even if it didn't flow any better that the cast iron one.

dgc333 550 HP is right at the limit for a stock block and 600 is pushing it. You should be using billet main caps and a mains girdle at that more level in a stock block.

That is a Myth........ there are tons of guys running upwards of 20lbs of boost and in the 1000HP/TQ range at the crank using Turbo's on a SBM. Do some research and you will see!

I am still thinking of 550 to 600 HP and TQ running about 8 lbs of boost in a 8 to 1 compression engine.Jack

You will be perfectly fine doing it like you are talking about. There are guys even using STOCK Rods/Bolts and Stock Cranks along with Cast Pistons safely running at the power levels you are talking about here!! Just make sure your wastegate is dialed in so you don't over boost it or let it detonate. It is all in the tuning. Leave that to the professionals and you should be fine!

Coyote Jack Most everything I read tells me the stock block should be fine as long as I don't over bore it and as long as I use good bolts(ARP).Jack

Turbo power is Linear compared to Nitrous or a BIG NA motor. The power comes on SMOOTH and there is not that big SHOCK like the other power methods when it comes on. Member Turbodart68 made 911 to the tires using a stock block ,crank, rods and some heavy pistons with W2 Heads @ 340 Cubic Inches. Correct me if I am wrong Chris but if I remember correctly that was your combination.

So that being said, throw that engine together like you are saying and be done with it. You do not need to spend $$ on a aftermarket block forged internals or the like. Save that money and use it toward cleaning up your heads & using a Solid Roller Camshaft! JMO

I did use forged internals in mine because I stroked it to 410CI, 9:1 Compression. The reason I stroked it was for more low end torque before the boost hits for street driving purposes. My NA 410 CI Dart comes on pretty strong. I can't wait to feel the G's of the same engine with the SOLID ROLLER CAMSHAFT and EFI on 15lbs of boost.:-D

-
Back