heads

-
Pretty good head for a reasonable 318 build, just check for cracks between the seats. They’re stock hydraulic roller cam 318 fast burn heads used from 1986 to before magnum production started, late ‘91 I think. Usually cc at 60 cc chamber volume

If this question was asked in the small block forum I would give you a different answer...but in the race forum, I would use them as a door stop, nothing more.

:BangHead: Agreed, overlooked it was posted to race forum. Anymore, as far as racing goes, most production iron heads have been relegated to glorified doorstop status. Just makes more sense to get bare aluminum castings and have them worked.

what a set of used small block 302 heads worth ? would they work good on a 318 build ?
Good head for a Teen build. Have them checked for cracks. The ports flow well for a teen head and the chambers are efficient. They will increase compression by about a half point.

The head works really well in very mild applications as cast. If you can port them yourself, the head will allow for reasonable power for what they are in terms of port size. That’s where they fall short. Some of the best numbers I have seen out of that casting number are in the low 240’s. I haven’t seen higher not that I looked. I don’t know how far they’ll to be honest.

MoPar did sell a ported version for sometime long ago stating they made 55 more HP on a 318 over the normally used 360 head ever so popular back in the day. Considering the 360 head it was tested against was a bowl ported version, (I don’t remember the 360’s valve sizes used) that’s not to dang bad for that 302 head.

-
Back