Hearing protection.

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I spend many monotonous hours on the end of a buffer or grinder or… you get the idea. Right now I use wired ear pods under my ear muffs but it is not very ergonomic. Do noise cancelling headphones offer the hearing protection I need. Im open to suggestions. I want to stream from my phone. All of this wireless stuff kinda makes me wonder about health issues.

Muffling noise and pumping in music or chat over the muffled noise that is getting through is still hard on your hearing.

Once you get Tinnitus it is a hard thing to live with.

Visit a local audiologist. They can give you some real world options. I've had tinnitus ever since a practical joke explosion at work many years ago. It's more and more debilitating as time goes on, because the tinnitus gets progressively worse and takes more and more hearing with it. I had a noise cancelling hearing aid early on that did mask some of the noise, but now it's gotten so bad, nothing will touch it. So that's my advice.

Visit a local audiologist. They can give you some real world options. I've had tinnitus ever since a practical joke explosion at work many years ago. It's more and more debilitating as time goes on, because the tinnitus gets progressively worse and takes more and more hearing with it. I had a noise cancelling hearing aid early on that did mask some of the noise, but now it's gotten so bad, nothing will touch it. So that's my advice.
I had the same thing happen to me. The joke at work, along with my own stupid chit. Great advise RRR

Maybe if you keep your music down low enough to just mask the noise of the tools it would help. I have tinnitus too, from years of noise at work and around the house. It doesn't bother me during the day, but when I lay down to go to sleep and everything is quiet, the squealing in my ears is almost deafening.

Maybe if you keep your music down low enough to just mask the noise of the tools it would help. I have tinnitus too, from years of noise at work and around the house. It doesn't bother me during the day, but when I lay down to go to sleep and everything is quiet, the squealing in my ears is almost deafening.
The music is low and under my hearing protection ear muffs. I am well protected but sometimes the wires get hung up or pull the pieces out of my ears by tugging on the wires.
I think the Bluetooth ear pieces would work just fine but was wondering about the noise canceling head phones instead of ear pods and ear muffs.

I had the same thing happen to me. The joke at work, along with my own stupid chit. Great advise RRR
You have my sympathy for sure. I've suffered for years from balance and coordination issues, concentration problems, loss of sleep and on and on. There's not a day goes by that I don't feel like I am floating in an inner tube in water and sometimes, I get way more dizzy than that.

I can say from experience that the apple air pods work extremely well at cancelling outside noise while playing your favorite media. A buddy of mine has a 50's Ford truck with a 6.0L diesel and that sum ***** is LOUD to ride in. He keeps two sets of air pods in the glove box. It makes a night and day difference with noise cancelling.

The music is low and under my hearing protection ear muffs. I am well protected but sometimes the wires get hung up or pull the pieces out of my ears by tugging on the wires.
I think the Bluetooth ear pieces would work just fine but was wondering about the noise canceling head phones instead of ear pods and ear muffs.
I'd lean towards the Bluetooth pods with a set of earmuffs over them, like some shooters earmuffs maybe. I wear those when running the leaf blower, chain saw, weed eater, etc. My wife makes fun of me for wearing them, but she's the one who says "HUH?" when I'm 10 feet away and say something....lol.

Just remember, IF you have tinnitus, be very careful. With any type of headphones, pods....whatever, if you listen to music much above the level of your tinnitus, you'll hurt your hearing even further. It's a catch 22.

I'd lean towards the Bluetooth pods with a set of earmuffs over them, like some shooters earmuffs maybe. I wear those when running the leaf blower, chain saw, weed eater, etc. My wife makes fun of me for wearing them, but she's the one who says "HUH?" when I'm 10 feet away and say something....lol.
Oh ya. I wear earmuffs with all of that stuff. I notice all of the new neighbors starting to sport them too. My hearing really got bad when everybody started wearing masks.

As a tinnitus sufferer, I find I have to have noise, a TV, radio, Dvd on to be able to sleep. If the noise stops, I immediately wake up.
But I do find it is a fine excuse to ignore the girlfriend when she won't shut up.

I just wear earmuffs, and sing to myself out loud. It has the added benefit of making people avoid me.

Just remember, IF you have tinnitus, be very careful. With any type of headphones, pods....whatever, if you listen to music much above the level of your tinnitus, you'll hurt your hearing even further. It's a catch 22.
^^This. The wife keeps harping at me to wear my hearing aids more regularly, but has a hard time understanding this. When the tinnitus gets bad (mine varies from "crickets chirping" to an F-16 on full afterburner) I just throw them back in the drawer. I have had some relief with different devices utilizing white noise, but nothing consistent. After 40 years of this crap, I really miss good old fashioned silence.

The Honeywell store has ear muffs with audio jacks but you’ll have to get the cord to work with your phone or audio device.
Amazon may have them too.

At Honeywell store go to safety products -hearing protection- music.

Here’s a link.

Honeywell Store | Earmuffs | Earplugs | Hearing Protection
I went with diymirage suggestion. The 3m gear. 3m has never failed me and the price is in my range. Should be here in a few more days. Ill do a little review after I use them for a while. Thanks for the responses.

Here's another vote for the 3M WorkTunes. My set has AM/FM radio, bluetooth, and a plug for a hard wire.

I've been dealing with bad hearing for a long time. Only one ear works, and the other is at about half speed. Lots of tinnitus in both ears, including the one that doesn't work. Can't hear a peep on that side, but the ringing comes in loud and clear. Go figure. :realcrazy:

If doing anything really noisy, I double up with plugs and muffs - I can't afford to lose more hearing. If mowing the lawn or something similar, the WorkTunes are great. Since I have mono hearing, I got a teeny bluetooth plug from Amazon to use under my most aggressive muffs. It fits easily, and does have a decent ability to block out background noise as well.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/electronic-muffs/

I shoot a lot and have tinnitus from helicopters, explosions, and shooting. I am cheap and just use foamies when I shoot or run a chainsaw now. I have been wanting to get some ear muffs for shooting that have bluetooth but I don't really want to listen to music when I shoot or saw. Plus, it is a short duration that I would use it anyway. I shoot, take them off, and go check my targets. Seems like a waste for me but for someone who spends more than a song's duration of time I could see the cost being worth it.

Walker's is a brand I see a lot in the shooting sports arena. I would check their products out. Also, if you go on MidwayUSA.com or another shooting sports retailer like Bass Pro or Brownells you will be able to find a cheaper off-brand to the Walkers ear muffs.

As a tinnitus sufferer, I find I have to have noise, a TV, radio, Dvd on to be able to sleep. If the noise stops, I immediately wake up.
But I do find it is a fine excuse to ignore the girlfriend when she won't shut up.
I'm really fortunate, was around lots of aircraft. My hearing is mostly intact, except for the frequency that allows me to hear my wife.

I'm really fortunate, was around lots of aircraft. My hearing is mostly intact, except for the frequency that allows me to hear my wife.
I was an Artilleryman, we were issued hearing protection, but you couldn't hear firing commands with it so you didn't use it.
I have tinnitus like you wouldn't believe. If my blood pressure is up, its not a ringing, its a scream.
At night, it's unreal how loud something you can ignore during the day, with ambient noise, can be.
Do yourself a favor, anything is better than nothing.
You don't want this stuff. If I could go back and change one thing, that's right there at the top.

I greatly sympathize with all of you who have tinnitus. It can be very debilitating at times.

I went with diymirage suggestion. The 3m gear. 3m has never failed me and the price is in my range. Should be here in a few more days. Ill do a little review after I use them for a while. Thanks for the responses.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of 3M first I have a pair of their regular earmuffs myself. They’re comfortable.
I guess I typed in safety earmuffs with audio jack and Honeywell was the first to come up.

Glad you found something.

I have tinnitus due to a TMJ issue causing muscle spasms in both ears. It causes debilitating pain in my ears and my tinnitus is roaring when the muscles are in spasm.
Fortunately it rarely happens much anymore.
I run a fan at night to mask the chirping in my ears so I can sleep.

-
Back