heart attack

-
Wow that is really scary. Im praying for you. Prayers for a full quick recovery physically and mentally. I couldn't imagine how scared you were. On dec 10th i had an allergic reaction to something I eat and was hospitalized for a night. And that was enough to scar me i couldn't imagine something like that. Get well bud.

HEART ATTACK! Rings the same tone as CANCER! to some ears. Here's the thing... If your pump isn't working right, blood and oxygen isn't flowing right, modern medicine goes in a fixes it. You weren't poisoned with chemo, you were repaired. You are supposed to BE better. The heart surgeon says, "I fixed you, carry on", and walks out of the room.
The not FEELING better is mental. Worrying about your "ticker", the future recurrence, becomes depression.
My dad had a 5 ways bypass at early 50s. He went through all the same head games as some of you guys. Never returned to work. Saw a psychiatrist, took antidepressants, changed his diet to mostly beans, veggies and fruits.
He could spend an hour on a tread mill and never break a sweat, carry on conversation while at a jog pace. His body was a lot better than it had been in very long time. We all could see it. He didn't FEEL it. Going fishing was too far away from the hospital? Hell he could run to the hospital if he needed to. LOL
He has been back a few times for stent installs over the years. First time was at about 62. That was when he recognized how much better his body functions and feels after a fix. He discovered that if you recognize and focus on the body feeling good, the mind will follow.
Today... He just turned 80. Says he might outlive all of us. "It'll have to be something besides my heart that kills me". He knows it was his mind and not his body that prevented his returning to work after the bypass surgery.
We are all different. That's why heart attack doesn't ring the same tone to all ears, doesn't effect all minds the same way. If you need to see a psychiatrist, by all means do.

A friend from way back had a heart attack, she was in her late 30's. Last we spoke she was having a hard time dealing with things. Doc suggested a shrink. She told me that everyone in her family that has heart issues has gone thru the same thing. She thinks it is from a combination of the anesthesia....which can DEFINITELY screw with your head and simply knowing that you have a heart problem is the cause of it all...Good luck in your recovery.

I think that the main reason most folks have a hard time with the mental issues is that the Doctors don't have all the answers. It really pissed me off that not one cardiologist could tell me how to improve my condition, all they would say is "take the pills for the rest for your life". If they had said, "Do X, Y, and Z you'll eventually get well" I would have been able to handle it much better. If I hadn't had the internet I wouldn't have been able to figure out how to fix myself

Prayers for improvement in your situation and thankful you are still with us. My neighbor had a heart attack at church when he was in his early 20's. Heard if there wasn't a doctor there that night, he probably wouldn't have made it. He's in his mid 50's now and doing fine. Keep up the good work and try not to dwell on it. I know that when things weigh on me, I say a prayer and tell God that I don't want to deal with it and give it over to Him. Works quite well for me - it may for you as well.

Sorry to hear of your plight, V-Dart. Pursue your best life possible. As said here, nobody knows, except the Almighty, you might live to 112, and you don’t want to regret playing it too safe.
I went through a little heart scare a year and a half ago, some myocardial whatever. Chest pains continue if I ever break into a run or jog, otherwise, docs say get used to it or go on beta blockers. I prefer to lay off, but otherwise get as much weekend exercise as I can fit it.

ive had 4 of them my first one was at 27 my last 3 were at 37. and they brought me back. just keep your head up and wanting to do stuff will come back to you. every time you get a different fealing in your chest it will scare you so bad. but that will ease up. my prayers are with you.

I had a heart attack on December 3rd. I am a pretty healthy guy ( just turned 43 ). Eat lean, low carbs, most days a salad ( no dressing ) for lunch. Regularly went to the gym.
I am having a hard time since the attack & stents being put in. Do rehab twice a week.
Mentally having a hard time bouncing back. Wondering if any of you guys/gals have had a similar experience? Right now have little interest in working on any of my own cars.

Damn, a heart attack at 43. That's an eye opener for sure. Just curious- Are you a smoker? Were you ever? How bout any other drugs?

I had a heart attack on December 3rd. I am a pretty healthy guy ( just turned 43 ). Eat lean, low carbs, most days a salad ( no dressing ) for lunch. Regularly went to the gym.
I am having a hard time since the attack & stents being put in. Do rehab twice a week.
Mentally having a hard time bouncing back. Wondering if any of you guys/gals have had a similar experience? Right now have little interest in working on any of my own cars.
Had a 5 bypass about a year and a half ago. Doctors said to focus on getting back to a normal routine. It's impossible not to think about what happened, is happening, or will happen .The trick is not to let it overwhelm you .
I focused on getting back to normal .Didn't push it .Just let it happen. Slowly exercised, went back to work .Played my first hockey 4 months after surgery .
Also listen to your body. I had shortness of breath when I shouldn't have ( a very common symptom from those I've spoken to who had heart surgery) .And tightness in my chest .I ignored these sympoms and it very nearly cost me my life.

There is no rhyme nor reason to things like this....babies born with cancer or diabetes, people that live a clean wholesome life but die at a young age. I lost my father when he was 53, yes he smoked but gave of himself whenever he could. I wish you well and pray that this time next year finds you happy and healthy.

Going through depression and not being able to function very well is VERY common after a heart attack. I know because I searched the Web after I had a similar event. It got better for me, but it took several months. Even years later, I have some issues. Hang in there.

thanks again for all the feed back, it really helped. got a little morale boost at rehab this week. they let me jog a little. may have only been a minute at a time but, I will take every little forward step I can get.

You are young enough to be my son so what I say is or is not maybe relative. I had triple bypass 16 months ago, 3 arteries 98 %blocked, there were NO real symtoms of heart attach coming, but just hard to do anything in the heat! Then I got the sweating off and on in the AC after some work. I was building fence!! I almost had the attach before going to the hospital.
The mental part? You are a young man so it dwells on you. I am in my twilight years, even though the surgeon said he just gave a another 10 years at minimum!
Mental!!! YOU must learn to thank God for every new day, your family and friends that YOU still have to love and cherish. YOU have to learn to put all bad thoughts out of your head. Sleep well at night. Know that whatever happens in life, you did your part to be the person you need to be. Find what you love doing, and DO it! If you don't love it, find t what you will love doing!
Like said earlier, exercise!!!!!! You have always eaten right, don,t
smoke I assume!!!!!! So continue on and exercise, and get your mind right!!!! You are the one that controls that, you alone!
Find strength in yourself, or something greater if necessary.
Don't spend the rest of or life wondering... what if or when.
Good luck!

-
Back