Heat crossover

-

dodgy

Reaction score
Hi all, will .002 copper shim work to block the crossover port using 1213 gaskets and extractors.

Thankyou, I will look into them, wouldn't have a part number by any chance.
Here ya go $28 @ Oriellys might be cheaper elsewhere

20200508_082330.jpg

leave it original, it won't bother anything.
I'll be running a small b&m blower , I've been in two minds about this for a while as i didn't want to mod the heads or manifold.

Last edited:
When through some old gasket boxs and found this one, it has yellow brass(1710 melting point) on both sides with a hollow rivet through the gasket. It's for a 273/318 port head, think I'll see if someone in town has some stainless shim if not its the copper.

20200509_001617.jpg

.002 inches ? sounds very thin. I cut mine out of a steel soup can lid 25 years ago. with a blower block the crossover. does the intake have a crossover?

Stainless is best, but I've used aluminum shim (definitely thicker than a beer can) but also coated it with good, hi-temp silicone to insulate it on the head side. But this was on race cars, so I don't know how many years it would hold on the street.

.002 inches ? sounds very thin. I cut mine out of a steel soup can lid 25 years ago. with a blower block the crossover. does the intake have a crossover?
Yes it has the crossover , i don't want to weld it up as these manifolds are getting hard to find.

20140902_171216.jpg

.020" thick would be my choice. Copper, steel, stainless, brass, titanium... none of them will melt or burn through. I wouldn't trust anything only .002" thick though.

.020" thick would be my choice. Copper, steel, stainless, brass, titanium... none of them will melt or burn through. I wouldn't trust anything only .002" thick though.

HUH, the only ones I `ve ever seen were burned thru / not my car ..

HUH, the only ones I `ve ever seen were burned thru / not my car ..
Was the heat riser in the RH exhaust manifold removed, or totally disabled? That valve is the only reason for the exhaust to even want to go thru those passageways.

Was the heat riser in the RH exhaust manifold removed, or totally disabled? That valve is the only reason for the exhaust to even want to go thru those passageways.

Bah! That heat crossover is a sweet H-pipe built right into the intake manifold.

If you live in a cold climate, crossover is your best friend. If you only drive when the temp is above 60, not so much.

I always block the crossover on a supercharged application.
Use the 1213 gaskets.
Make a SS plate slightly larger than the crossover port.
Cut a hole in the gasket, just big enough so the plate lays in there(like the runner/ water port) recessing the plate.
Lay the gasket on the head, put a dab of RTV to hold the plate in place as you install the manifold.
The SS plate can be up to .040, that will provide a flat surface for the manifold to lay flat on as the gasket is .060

Best of luck on your project Mate.
What size blower? 144/162?

Use the 1213 gaskets.
Cut a hole in the gasket, just big enough so the plate lays in there(like the runner/ water port) recessing the plate.
Lay the gasket on the head, put a dab of RTV to hold the plate in place as you install the manifold.
The SS plate can be up to .040, that will provide a flat surface for the manifold to lay flat on as the gasket is .060

Okay Thanks , it's a 144.

Use the 1213 gaskets.

Damn, looks like I nailed the thickness just right with the 20ga I used. I was bouncing back and forth between 20ga and 16ga. I was thinking that the 16ga was just a bit too thick because the gasket would compress some and I'd end up with a leak.

steel.jpg

-
Back