heated discussion at work

do you prefer to cook your brat by

• Total voters
-
Grill then simmer in a beer bath with sliced sweet onions. Keeps them hot and juicy while the party lasts and adds a nice flavor. Also, the onions are nice to add to the finished product on the bun.

The old culinary trick is also to roll them in your hand before putting them on the grille. Keeps them straight, and works the skins and the meat so the skins don’t break! Keep em low and slow as well, and try to keep the flame ups to a min!!

Have done brats lots of ways.
A good mustard is welcome-German senf.
I actually like to smoke them believe it or not. Slow until the casing, for lack of a better term snaps when you bite it. Not crispy.

Don't need beer, just a little mustard and some great home made sauerkraut. Jimjimjimmy makes a great kraut. Beer is for drinking.

Jack

I agreed, Jack, only because you said you don't need beer. Which is true. Not a big fan of sauerkraut, so I'll just stick to a golden spicy mustard.

Given the responses already, maybe a "no beer needed" option should be given on the poll.

Most will disagree but I just buy good quality Brauts and cook them on my George Foreman Grill.When done a little mustard is all that's needed.

In Wisconsin the only way to cook them is with beer.

in the rest of the US, we have beer that is good enough to drink straight out of the can

stir.gif

Smoke em' in the Green Egg..... Lightly buttered buns then quickly toasted on the grill... It's just that simple.....

JW

in the rest of the US, we have beer that is good enough to drink straight out of the can

View attachment 1715176491
In other parts of the US, we have enough good beer available that we don’t mind using some of it to make our Brats taste better. It’s not like using some for cooking means we have any less to drink.

:poke:

I was going to say in Wisconsin we boil in beer and onions, grill, then drink the beer out of the pot... Wouldn't want to waste good beer...

The Best Way to Grill Sausages | The Food Lab
I tried this technique with several varying parameters—cooking time, direct versus indirect heat, sear first and poach after versus poach first and sear after—and found that the best way to do it was to give the sausages their initial par-cook over indirect heat.

I pile up the coals on one side, place the trays on the hot side until the liquid is just barely simmering, transfer them to the cooler side, cover the grill with the vents open over the sausages (to encourage good convection current), then let them slow-cook until they reach close to their desired final temperature of 150°F.

This takes about 20 minutes or so—plenty of time for the smoke, condiment, and sausage flavors to all mingle.

-
Back