Heater core cleaning?

-

Tad

Reaction score
2C563350-55F0-40B4-9560-D5BA292B6A36.jpeg
Does anybody have a good DIY solution to cleaning the scale off of the heater core?

Better put a couple psi air pressure and test for leaks.
Just submerge it in soapy water and a soft brush to loosen it up.

Bob, i didnt want to suggest that, but you are correct.

I just went through this with my 68 Barracuda. My core had some scale on it, far less than your's does and yes it had a leak. I suggest that you take it to a radiator shop and have it professionally checked, believe me you only want to reinstall it one time. If it does have a leak they can either fix it if it's not too bad or re-core it which they are capable of doing, or get a new one which is the route that I chose to follow. I bought a new one from Mancini's and it fit perfectly.
Bob

Wow, mate. I’d rather buy a new one. Otherwise, it would be too risky to use this. Actually, I would try cleaning it. I have a friend who works at the best cleaning service in york, and he literally can clean anything. But this thing needs to be repaired at least. That’s why I’d rather buy a new one. Btw, I’ve also seen a lot of youtube videos on it. And, guys mostly say that buying a new heater core would be better. Anyway, it’s your safety, and safety should be first. Keep the topic updated. GL

Last edited:
My experience has always been if there's corrosion on the outside, the inside is even worse. You can try it, but it's a bit of labor to pull it back out if it leaks. Especially if it's an A/C car.

Wow, mate. I’d rather buy a new one. Otherwise, it would be too risky to use this.
I tend to agree, but some of them are getting stupid expensive now.

-
Back