Heater core r&r 66 barracuda with ac

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to how to replace the heater core in my 66. It has AC,but Don't know if it's factory or dealer added, it does have the under dash unit. I have the glove box out and plan on removing the front passenger seat and radio. It is my understanding I need to drop the whole unit, but the AC portion is not connected, is that correct? Couple of questions.
1. Do I need to remove the fan motor, if so does it come out from under the hood.
2. other than the bolts in the engine compartment, and the J bolt in the passenger side air vent, are their any other fasteners keeping the unit from dropping down?
I appreciate your help. I have rebuilt motors, manual transmissions, fabricated race cars, but this project has me a little freaked out. It is an original 32K mile car, unmolested, and I don't want to screw something up that I can't replace, like the rubber hose going from the heater motor to the cowl. If I need to remove the heater motor I know it will be toast. Thanks for reading, any feedback will be much appreciated.thanks

When you say it has the under dash unit, is it just the vent or is it a “knee knocker” style. If it’s the knee knocker, the heater box would come out by undoing the J hooks and the 4 fasteners at the blower motor at the firewall. If it’s the factory heater/AC integrated unit, i’d Definitely want to consult the factory service manual. I can take a look at mine later this evening.

When you say it has the under dash unit, is it just the vent or is it a “knee knocker” style. If it’s the knee knocker, the heater box would come out by undoing the J hooks and the 4 fasteners at the blower motor at the firewall. If it’s the factory heater/AC integrated unit, i’d Definitely want to consult the factory service manual. I can take a look at mine later this evening.
It is just the vents, looks factory to me. I have the original buyers order and AC is listed with the other options like power brakes etc.

Look at delivery charge!
IMAG0412.jpg

It is just the vents, looks factory to me. I have the original buyers order and AC is listed with the other options like power brakes etc.

Then you have the factory integrated heater/AC system. I know there is a bracket in the front that holds the heater unit to the AC unit and that may be the only thing holding them together. The heater unit will have the J Bolt(s) and one or two nuts in the engine compartment that holds the heater box in place. The blower motor comes out with the heater box. This is going from memory here so you still should consult the FSM.

EDIT: If you don’t have the FSM, it’s a worthwhile investment to get one. My Mopars might have one available for free download

Then you have the factory integrated heater/AC system. I know there is a bracket in the front that holds the heater unit to the AC unit and that may be the only thing holding them together. The heater unit will have the J Bolt(s) and one or two nuts in the engine compartment that holds the heater box in place. The blower motor comes out with the heater box. This is going from memory here so you still should consult the FSM.

EDIT: If you don’t have the FSM, it’s a worthwhile investment to get one. My Mopars might have one available for free download
Thanks, I looked at my mopar and didn't see a place to download the FSM, I would sure like to get one.

I’ll take a look at mine this evening and if what I think I remembered is correct or different, i’ll Let you know.

OK, wasn’t sure if My Mopars had your year or not. You should be able to buy the manual on CD and just print out the stuff you need.

I’ve got a 65 FSM which was apparently printed before the factory AC was available. Mopar dis release an AC supplement for 65 which I also have. Here are the pages describing removing the heater box to get at the heater core. On the first page the area I circled is glued to both heater and AC boxes and will probably be destroyed when the 2 suits are separated!

401B7527-41C9-4C14-A527-FF4C5D4ECD3C.jpeg

BACCFBA4-85F0-4DFC-8384-5FBF63C69506.jpeg

I’ve got a 65 FSM which was apparently printed before the factory AC was available. Mopar dis release an AC supplement for 65 which I also have. Here are the pages describing removing the heater box to get at the heater core. On the first page the area I circled is glued to both heater and AC boxes and will probably be destroyed when the 2 suits are separated!

View attachment 1715404054

View attachment 1715404053
Thank you sir, that will help.​

View attachment 1715404054

View attachment 1715404053
Thanks man, you helped me out. My unit is just like the one in fig 195. It is separate from the ac. Although I removed the four nuts on the cowl, it was not necessary. All that was needed was remove the heater hoses and cover, loosen the J bolt in the passenger side air vent, remove a couple cables and electrical connections, and one bolt to the AC side. The fan motor stays on the cowl. I did remove the passenger side kick panel so I didn't scratch it up, the radio, glove box and door, and loosened up the lower dash bolt on the passenger side, and the ground wire attached to the heater core lines. I did not remove the passenger seat. The unit almost fell out! The hardest part of the job so far was removing the factory spring clamps on the heater hose, no room to get pliers on them.
Thanks again for your help, it was nice of you to take the time to post the pictures, and I appreciate it! Hope this will help out other members that need to do this job on a 1966 A body with factory air.
IMAG0413.jpg
IMAG0414.jpg
IMAG0415.jpg
IMAG0417.jpg
IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

Have the unit all cleaned up and ready to assemble. The two halves did not have a gasket but had what looks like plumbers puddy. I'm thinking I will just apply a small bead of gasket sealer. Any thoughts about doing that? Thanks again.

The seal kits come with something very similar to 3M Strip-Calk, so if you can find some of that, I'd use it.

-
Back