Heater core re-cored? Or such thing as a universal one?

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all, My 78 B body (the powertour car I'm building) has an A/C heater box, and unfortunately that heater core is discontinued in the aftermarket. The firewall and box is COMPLETELY different than a non A/C car. So my 75 parts car is useless in this aspect. . I haven't successfully found a place that 're cores. And for anything north of $150...I would just buy one of the universal under dash heaters.

Any other ideas?? Appreciate it!!! Asked on the B site and got notta

Get all the aftermarket PN#s you can find for it, and do a PN search. Also check www partsvoice.com with the OEM PN.

Get all the aftermarket PN#s you can find for it, and do a PN search. Also check www partsvoice.com with the OEM PN.
Thanks, will see if I can pull a PN off it. I have lived in the aftermarket all my life, so I never even consider looking for an actual Chrysler # lol. Usually bc if someone has something NOS, it could be for a yugo and people will want $$$$ :p

It might be worth a try, go to the Mancini Racing site (all MOPAR) and see if they have one. If not give them a call and they might be able to send you to the right company. I needed one for my 68 barracuda with factory AIR they had it and it fit real good, can't hurt.
Bob

What model is that thing? A Charger?

What model is that thing? A Charger?
The shell (firewall and heater box) is technically a 78 monaco 2 door. With A/C

I usually look up 78 Cordoba or charger, as some parts searches incorrectly pull the "Royal Monaco" which was a C body.

These two astronomically different animals are A/C and Non

20200609_161148.jpg

20200609_162109.jpg

I needed a discontinued one for an old Dodge truck. I got a heater core catalog (Murray I think) found one similar. I cut, repositioned one of the outlets and soldered it back on. If ya can or have a buddy that can weld aluminum, you have it made. Craig

SO what's the problem with converting it to non A/C?

SO what's the problem with converting it to non A/C?
I'm yanking the AC stuff. It's gone already. But the heater boxes, ducting, and firewall are completely different.

I suppose if I had a non AC dash and vents...But I don't.

To make all this that much more silly, the core doesn't leak, but looks rough.

So I hoped to replace it, use the AC box, and all would be well. It just wouldn't have A/C

I'm yanking the AC stuff. It's gone already. But the heater boxes, ducting, and firewall are completely different.

I suppose if I had a non AC dash and vents...But I don't.

To make all this that much more silly, the core doesn't leak, but looks rough.

So I hoped to replace it, use the AC box, and all would be well. It just wouldn't have A/C

So fill in the firewall holes and put somethin like this in it.

Car Universal Under dash Heater Heat Defroster Demister W/ Switch 12V 4 Ports | eBay

how bout a pic or three...with rough dims....
Late B had some similar stuff to F,M and J's.

Rock Auto shows to have 2 different ones for 78 cordoba non a/c ,1 is $47.79 the other is 67.79,,, the A/c shows out of stock. The photos you show , the tri-angle shape takes a blower which mounts from outside straight to heater box which has 4 studs, the other round hole takes a different blower motor that the heater box under dash is mounted , with front removed, you mount motor and bolt it inside ,then put heater box front on.

8x 6.76. 2 thick.
Thanks guys.

225 local to 're core. Lol....pass on that

20200610_081328.jpg

20200610_082051.jpg

I think we're going to make this work 73 charger with A/C. Same core dims. similar shape.

thank you all that helped!

upload_2020-6-10_7-32-59.png

Hey all, My 78 B body (the powertour car I'm building) has an A/C heater box, and unfortunately that heater core is discontinued in the aftermarket. The firewall and box is COMPLETELY different than a non A/C car. So my 75 parts car is useless in this aspect. . I haven't successfully found a place that 're cores. And for anything north of $150...I would just buy one of the universal under dash heaters.

Any other ideas?? Appreciate it!!! Asked on the B site and got notta

i have owned some 10 or so Austin Mini Coopers, and here in Florida always had a overheating problem with those radiators small as heater cores. My "solution" was to go to NAPA or Oreilly and search/look in their books until i found the size/shape/outlet i wanted, and then plumbed that Heater Core into the stern of my mini's, running a 1/2in copper tubing back that-a-ways making me a 2nd radiator!! worked great. you might think about looking in NAPA or Oreilly's books (or possibly other manufactures also).

i have owned some 10 or so Austin Mini Coopers, and here in Florida always had a overheating problem with those radiators small as heater cores. My "solution" was to go to NAPA or Oreilly and search/look in their books until i found the size/shape/outlet i wanted, and then plumbed that Heater Core into the stern of my mini's, running a 1/2in copper tubing back that-a-ways making me a 2nd radiator!! worked great. you might think about looking in NAPA or Oreilly's books (or possibly other manufactures also).
That's kind of what I did online. I found the 73 charger to look about the same, and it was close enough I made it work.

-
Back