Heater Core Shut-Off Valve

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
A buddy has an A100 Pick-Up with a 360/727 in it. It gets very warm in the cab in the summer. Would a shut off valve in one of the heater hose lines help with the in cab heat?
He does NOT want to eliminate the heater core altoghther as he does/will drive when the colder weather arrives. He just wants the quick option to either have coolant flow through the heater core (valve open) or to stop the coolant flow (valve closed).
He was thinking of using a simple ball/**** plumbing valve from Home Depot/Lowes.
Any thoughts??

A simple ball valve or threeway valve will work. I prefer the threeway valve to bypass the core as it still flows water back thru the other hose, and not just dead ending it. But I'd bet most of that heat is from the engine's doghouse. Might be better off recovering the inside of it with a thermal barrier.

I just unhooked mine at the firewall and looped the pump with the intake.......WHAT a difference! Coooooool baby........

BUT, if you want it to be optional, you need the valve........as the previous writer said, a 3 way will be best.....just like on an RV water heater.......you close off the 2 lines, and open the center for cool cab and free flowing coolant......then close the center and open the 2 lines for heat......

Not sure what they have for something like this.....you're gonna have to look at the selections and THINK..................Seems to me that Prestone or someone used to sell such a thing, as well as flushing valves.........could be wrong.....

-
Back