Heater hoses

-

dieselman966

Reaction score
I am putting a 360 magnum into my 72 scamp. I am running all of the serpentine accessories on this motor. Where are you guys running the heater hose that is under the a/c pump? The port that is that on the edelbrock air gap intake needs to be plugged because there is no clearance. Where do I need to put that heater hose now?

I am running v-belts on my magnum and a LD340 manifold. I used a 90 degree fitting I bought off of Ebay. I made my own brackets for the AC compressor, so maybe I have a smidgen more clearance. Just an idea. Rod

IMG_4497.JPG

Picture of the entire 5.9 magnum, now 408. Rod

IMG_4450.JPG

I'll take pics of my intake. I had to plug the hole under the A/C compressor. And I drilled and tapped one of the other coolant holes bigger for a heater hose line. The tap I used was specific for cutting an NPT thread. I then used an NPT to AN fitting and an AN 45° hose barb. That's just what the local speed shop had in stock. And it works and looks fine.

There's no putting a 90* fitting on it. There is maybe a 1/2" of clearance under the a/c compressor. Looks like I'll be drilling and tapping the intake then.

There's no putting a 90* fitting on it. There is maybe a 1/2" of clearance under the a/c compressor. Looks like I'll be drilling and tapping the intake then.

Since I made my own brackets, I was able to get enough clearance for a 90.

Here’s what I did on my Edelbrock airgap
Plugged the hole under the a/c bracket. Drilled out and tapped the next hole over

7038B7E1-34D9-46E7-A409-8A31E4739292.jpeg

Do you have room to "jack up" the water / stat outlet? You can get (even make) blocks under them with a fitting, and you can get "some" outlets that have a fitting in the outlet itself

The setup on rklein383's engine is totally different than a Magnum setup. MileHighDart has it right, since the Edelbrock Magnum intakes move the thermostat housing toward the right side and the AC compressor toward the left side, like factory Magnum positions. I am assuming you are also using a factory Magnum AC compressor and aluminum mounting bracket. Done correctly, it's a clean setup.

I'm using and A/C delete bracket for now, but have plans for adding a/c at a later date. Obviously I'd need a different upper radiator hose at that point.
You can see in this pic where the heater hose meets the manifold, right behind the a/c compressor mounting pad.

IMG_0749.jpg

Just an update. I plugged the one hole in the intake under the a/c pump and drilled and tapped one of the other ones. Worked out good. I had to grind part of my bracket down to clear the plug though. I am running an upper radiator hose that is for 98 Dakota. Worked great. I forget what the lower hose is for. I found it on another thread here though.

The radiator fan I am using is a stock truck fan. 8 or 9 blade fan. I had cut 1" off of each blade to clear the lower radiator hose. Works great and plenty of clearance.

-
Back