Heavy clutch pedal

-

Fred Menna

Reaction score
Just purchased a 73 Duster with 4 speed. Has a new clutch and pressure plate. Is there lighter springs that can be installed in the clutch assembly. Practically have to stand on the clutch to get it to disengage. Can't imagine driving in traffic with it like this. My leg will never make it.

If something isn't in a bind, that's just the way it is. You have a bunch of static pressure. The only other springs in the system are the return spring down on the clutch fork and the over enter spring under the dash. The spring under the dash helps pull the pedal back from the floor.

I can't think of any reason to run that much plate load any more. It just isn't needed and it will flex all the linkage, the firewall and even the pressure plate cover itself.

You may have something wrong, and I'd investigate going to a diaphragm clutch if you are running a B&B

the torque shaft (Z bar) uses grease inside at each end. the other connections that are outside need some oil for lube. there is a light spring on the fork to pull the throwout bearing off the pressure plate. the overcenter spring (inside the car, under the dash) helps grandma push the pedal down. I run a long style pressure plate, removed the dumb overcenter spring. and drive in the city,

-
Back