hellcats can run 10.48

-

moparlover

Reaction score
from another forum. new hemi making itself a new legend.
they took a hellcat chally, added drag radials and ran race gas.

Here are the facts on that 10.48 run...
I talked to the sources.

Burns Motors is the dealer that provided the cars. They were both sold cars that the owners graciously allowed them to use to put this all together.

Runs were done at Edinburg Raceway in TX.

The driver is actually normally runs a blown 67 Camaro with solid experience. Supposedly is at the track every weekend running his car in the 8's.

RGV Lighting in McAllen TX does lighting and street car mods. They worked with the car and the driver.

The only modifications to the car were in fact drag radials and race fuel. In fact, BOTH cars had race fuel. So the 11.05 run was done with race fuel too.

The tires were the Nitto 555r's, here's the kicker: they were the factory size!! 275/40/20

Several tire pressures were tried. The optimal pressure was 17 lbs.

Third pass on the black car resulted in the attached pic.

Track was heavily prepped and a bit warmer temps on day two resulted in super track conditions. The guy said the track wanted to pull his shoes off.

For the fuel the car had below 1/4 tank of normal pump fuel and they added 8-10 gallons of the VT109 racing fuel.

It was originally reported that you had to roll it out some before you mash it but after talking to the driver he said the best runs came when you were in fact able to mash the gas right at the green light. Period!.

An important thing to note also is that he said they did not start getting good times / hookups until they turned the stability control completely off. He said once they got that off (which required them to hold the button for 8 seconds), then they started getting good runs. So the car was in track mode and stability control was turned completely off and this was a requirement to get the car to start hooking up properly.

Driver confirmed that he put the car in track mode and turned stability control off. No other changes to suspension.

Launched as close as possible stalling it to 2000 rpm. Launch control NOT used.

Lastly, the driver used the paddles to get the best times out of it!! His shift rpm was 6200 RPM when he hit the paddle.

That's it!!

Tires and race fuel!!

Vids coming. They have to wait for a few things to happen before they can release them but they are coming.

And GT500's go 9's on tires and pump gas. And they don't have so much chassis flex that they crank sunroofs either.

The Hellcats are very cool and impressive! Just wait till more guys get their hands on them... they will be in the 9's soon!

Attachments

• 1408593457_2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-at-dragstrip.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 777
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/here-facts-10-48-run-310578/

well they found the first weak spot that needs attention.. :)

attachment.php

And GT500's go 9's on tires and pump gas. And they don't have so much chassis flex that they crank sunroofs either.
Yeah Dodge built this car to lose to a GT500, yep. GT500's are lucky to get in the 11's. Show me a STOCK GT500 that has even ran a 10.

I also know someone who paid MSRP. It wasnt a good ole boy hook up either. Regular guy off the street. Walked in ordered it with 2,500 down. No mark up.

Frankly, I don't give **** what a mustang runs or a camero runs. Im a Mopar man. I care what a Mopar runs. And a 10.48 at 133 is impressive for a Mopar let alone Anything else. Ok glad I got that off my chest. Lol. Just tired of people talking smack about the Hell Cat already. It has yet to even begin to be run and tested. Wait until a good tuner shop get ahold of one with a pulley, ECM tuning and c16. I hope they have crate motors available too that will make it even more viable. I'm happy about it.

A freind of mine just ordered his @ MSRP.

I added a few popular options on the Dodge "build & price" web page and came out with a MSRP of very close to $68,000. Add tax and all the other junk it would be $72,500. So my $75K is off a little. But aren't most dealers marking these up way over sticker?

i dont understand, for example, how a 2013-14 shelby mustang gt500 with a supercharged 650 hp engine cant get into the 10's? thats mind blowing...

take a 68 fastback cuda with a 100 HP less and be in the 10's easy..

i do like the hellcat challenger, i really do. but for some reason, the new shelby mustang is more attractive to me. however, im not a fan of the looks of the camaro.

i dont understand, for example, how a 2013-14 shelby mustang gt500 with a supercharged 650 hp engine cant get into the 10's? thats mind blowing...

They can and do. They go 9's for that matter. There's a few at our local track. The one guy goes 10's on the brakes.

LOL....try getting the dealer to warranty that! :prayer: :glasses7: :burnout:

HOLY $HIT!!!!!

Actually they did warrenty that. Dodge overnighted the guy another one and bolted it on and raced the next day.

At least the story/forum I read said they did.

Riddler

well my point for this thread is to get the new hemi guys busy ... spring is right around the corner... :D

in an abody the same or equivalent built motor would haul *** way lower than the 10's. the Hellcat weighs like 4300 or somethin

Goddamn,10's in street trim is fast.

From the moment I saw the one at the Mopar Nats in August it's been bugging me. They didn't do anything but start it up every once in awhile and rev the engine so you could hear the blower pulling air through the headlight opening and practically sucked the panties right off the Mopar chicks standing nearby...in fact it sucked everyone within a hundred yards right over to it every time they started it.
When you realize what it takes to get an old car to go that fast, probably a somewhat radical engine, lightened body, stripped of creature comforts, roll cage, maybe aluminum interior panels, noisy, cantankerous, etc.
Then Horace and John say "Let's quit foolin' around and kill the competition". Build this overweight monster, get it through all the federal regs, capable of driving to any track with the A/C, cruise control, a decent sound system and run those times...it's hard to comprehend.

When you realize what it takes to get an old car to go that fast, probably a somewhat radical engine, lightened body, stripped of creature comforts, roll cage, maybe aluminum interior panels, noisy, cantankerous, etc.

This is quite a bit exaggerated and some of it is simply untrue.

A somewhat radical engine. I guess..depends on many factors and is subjective.

Does not require a lightened body.

Does not need to be stripped of creature comforts but the new cars typically have more.

NHRA does not require a cage up to 10.0 for 08 and newer cars. You can't really knock the older cars for NHRA's rule. It certainly doesn't affect the front seat.

No aluminum interior panels. Why would you need these anyway?

Noisy? Subjective.
cantankerous? Doesn't have to be. People just tend to build them that way.

i also know someone who paid msrp. It wasnt a good ole boy hook up either. Regular guy off the street. Walked in ordered it with 2,500 down. No mark up.

Frankly, i don't give **** what a mustang runs or a camero runs. Im a mopar man. I care what a mopar runs. And a 10.48 at 133 is impressive for a mopar let alone anything else. Ok glad i got that off my chest. Lol. Just tired of people talking smack about the hell cat already. It has yet to even begin to be run and tested. Wait until a good tuner shop get ahold of one with a pulley, ecm tuning and c16. I hope they have crate motors available too that will make it even more viable. I'm happy about it.

x2

There are a lot of hot rodded older and modern cars running Turbos and s/chargers which run 10s and even high 9s.

What makes the Hellcat special is the engineering making the motor both reliable, economical ( as far as it goes) and highly streetable.

What the engineers have done to defeat numerous thermo dynamic hurdles, get it past Federal regs and still be prepared to offer a RACE warranty speaks volumes for the engineering of this car.

Id bet my *** that this car would well outlive your Saleens and Shelby's in the abuse stakes.

There was nothing so much more inferior about the base Gen 3 format to say the Hellcat needed all the work that Chrysler put into it........that Frauds modular motors didnt......

.....Mopar has just done it right to make the car last and prove trouble free as a viable commercial product.

Over engineered? The number of blown aftermarket Mudstains at the track will tell the tale.....

There are many proclaimed "10 second street cars" but take one of those and drive it accros the united states and see how many problems and brakes there are. For a brand new car right off the showroom floor to be able to run 10s at 4000+ pounds, and be able to drive coast to coast with the ac on and burn most if not any production car on the track is incredible, 75k aint bad for a 10 second car with great handling and all the luxeries of a modern vehicle. Im sure there will be videos of a hellcat gettysburg ng beat on the street or track but ill bet its not by a BONE stock production car. And sure there are guys on this forum with cars that would spankh e hellcat in the 1/4 but take the to the road course or on a highway cruise and see what reigns supreem. Im glad to see dodge finally get back on the map with a production car!

A GT500 need's drag radials to get in the 11's. And when they start getting close to 10's they need the transmissions either swapped to auto or replaced. The 8 spd auto in the Hellcat is the secret ingredient to its quickness without a doubt.

Ive yet to see it

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWe0yC9xSc"]9 second Ford Mustang GT500 Vs AC Cobra - YouTube[/ame]

I wish I had taken videos at my track this year of the GT500's. 9's and 10's. The one guy doesn't have a license, he goes 10's on the brakes.

-
Back