Hello from California

-

Rev_Rock

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name's Jerry and I'm in Tehachapi, CA. I recently bought a '73 Dart Swinger. 318 engine, with rally wheels, painted "Plum Crazy". I'm looking to upgrade the engine with new intake and 4bbl carb, as well as headers. Otherwise, leave it stock. I'm open to suggestions.

Welcome!

Edelbrock Air Gap for the intake, 4 barrel carb in the 600-650 cfm range of whichever brand you prefer tuning, and Doug's D453's or TTI for the headers. Those last two will set you back, but they're the only ones that stay above the steering linkages. Headers on these cars are a pain, but those are the least painful to install of what's out there.

Welcome!

Edelbrock Air Gap for the intake, 4 barrel carb in the 600-650 cfm range of whichever brand you prefer tuning, and Doug's D453's or TTI for the headers. Those last two will set you back, but they're the only ones that stay above the steering linkages. Headers on these cars are a pain, but those are the least painful to install of what's out there.

Thank you! I'll check those headers out. My buddy said to with Hookers, but it sounded like there was something you have to do with one of the tubes, due to the steering linkage.

Ever hear of Professional Products "Power+Plus Crosswind" manifold? Same air gap type, but polished, and a little cheaper. I was already thinking Edelbrock Performaer or Weiand.

Thank you! I'll check those headers out. My buddy said to with Hookers, but it sounded like there was something you have to do with one of the tubes, due to the steering linkage.

Ever hear of Professional Products "Power+Plus Crosswind" manifold? Same air gap type, but polished, and a little cheaper. I was already thinking Edelbrock Performaer or Weiand.

On an A-body all the Hooker headers go underneath the steering linkage. The larger tube version has a slip tube as well, which is a guaranteed leak. I had a set awhile back, I sold them. I have a set on my Challenger, but on an E-body the Hookers have a different design. They're a good header for most applications, but on an A-body they're not the best available.

The "Professional Products" intakes are just Chinese knock-off's of the Edelbrock Air Gap manifolds. Some of them work ok, some have a ton of core shift. I'd use Edelbrock, but that's just me.

On an A-body all the Hooker headers go underneath the steering linkage. The larger tube version has a slip tube as well, which is a guaranteed leak. I had a set awhile back, I sold them. I have a set on my Challenger, but on an E-body the Hookers have a different design. They're a good header for most applications, but on an A-body they're not the best available.

The "Professional Products" intakes are just Chinese knock-off's of the Edelbrock Air Gap manifolds. Some of them work ok, some have a ton of core shift. I'd use Edelbrock, but that's just me.

Thanks again! Yes, I was worried about the slip tube having leakage! I'll definitely check out the ones you recommended.

I knew that the "Professional Products" were probably a knock-off of something, and had dual drilling for LA and Magnum heads. That was a concern to me, for some reason. I'll go with either Edelbrock or Weiand. Probably a Holly (my girlfriend's name! LOL!) electric choke carb. Thank you once again!

Welcome to the site, as you can see, there's a lot of helpful people on here!

Welcome. Sounds like a fun project. Lots of very good information around here.

-
Back