Hello from the Ford camp!

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
Yeah, I am not a big Mopar guy, but my dad is. Me personally, I have a 1970 Mustang that is the focus of my obsession... but this is a Mopar board.

My dad had a 1969 Dodge Dart 340 Swinger with a bench seat and a 4 speed when he was 18/19 years old. Bright Blue Poly with white interior and white vinyl top. He sold it on his way to college. Fast forward to 1992, and he bought me my dream car (it was only my dream car after he bought it for me), and got me hooked on classic cars.

Back in 1999, when I was finishing college and right before getting married, he decided he wanted another Dart. We flew down to South Carolina on an Autotrader ad and bought a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 with 4 speed, bench seat, black interior and vinyl top, and Copper Poly paint. By the time we got to it, it was a hideous orange, no vinyl top, but the interior was newer and it was complete. We drove it home to northern Indiana. No speedometer and using a stop watch to time between mile markers. We shut the car off once at the first fuel stop, but it started hard after that, so we didnt turn it off again until we got home. That is still a great memory.

Fast forward ANOTHER 20 years, and I am just now getting to the point where I can start working on it. Nobody has touched it since we got it home, and it hasnt been driven in 19 years (last 15 years spent sitting on a lift in dad's garage). Both quarter panels and trunk dropoffs had rot in them. There is rot on the passenger side rear lower window frame. There is collision damage on the driver front door and fender (light) that has been filled in with bondo.

My son, who is now 13, and I have been tearing into it these past weeks. Driver side quarter panel and trunk dropoff are done. Passenger side trunk dropoff is done, and the quarter panel is being welded in this week. Going to do all of the work ourselves (even got the boy welding, and hes pretty good at it). Going to have some modifications from the way it left the factory... likely a red poly instead of blue or copper, painted bumpers, debadged trunk and hood, some sort of ghosted tail stripe vs. the decal one. Dad wants to eliminate the louvre trim from the hood... the boy doesnt... we have our first impasse, so we will have to see where that shakes out.

So hello!

Welcome from NW Ohio - need to see pictures! Lots of 69 Swingers on here, and some very good restoration threads to view/follow!

You're not alone in the Ford camp. I like them too. We welcome all brands here. Lets see the Rustang. lol I might even have something you might be interested in.

Mopar, Ford, Chevy...I don't really care though I prefer Mopar. We're all car guys...and some gals too!
:thumbsup:

I've had 4 Mustangs but my Swinger has been with me since 1974. Everything else has come and gone so you know where my heart is and that may be you once you and your son build the Swinger. If not you, for sure him. We need all the young guns we can get in the hobby. Welcome aboard. Show us the good, bad and the ugly.

Here is the Mustang. It’s an odd ball in that it has a very late model year color, and it was one of a few that had a 351 and an automatic that did NOT end up as a Mach 1.

I’ll upload a few of the Dart in a subsequent post

54FA8767-DCA9-41EE-9BC4-AE8D1150159C.jpeg

It's awesome you got started on it with your son!! Welcome to FABO!

You're right, that is a hideous orange, lol.

I've had my mopar for 31 years and my ford for 19, I either don't sell anything or I work very slow.

Last edited:
I bought my Barracuda in 1978,the same year I got married. Didn't get to it until 1997, finished it to the driving stage by late 1999. No college for my kids.No vacations. No hunting or fishing or hockey. I was a terrible father and a rotten husband.
But all that goes away when I hit the skinny pedal!

What is that, Grabber Orange? :icon_fU: Which one is faster....I love the Cleveland motor: Had one in my 57 Fairlane 500. Solid lifter 312 was smooth, but the 2V 351C with a 4v and an Erson Hi-Flo 2 intake was fast. It ate starters though. Mustang headers dropped right in and I had all kinds of room in there.

Here is the Mustang. It’s an odd ball in that it has a very late model year color, and it was one of a few that had a 351 and an automatic that did NOT end up as a Mach 1.

I’ll upload a few of the Dart in a subsequent post

View attachment 1715385742

Very cool cool car. I love that it's a 351, Fastback and NOT a Mach 1. I have a complete 1970 M code Engine. You need to make a road trip. lol

-- :welcome: -- I'm a "Mopar Guy". -- I have had many, but The Guys allow a picture of this, here. After all, We're all "Car Guys". ---
Falcon - Outside - 2.JPG

Nothin' better than working on something with your kid, a car none the less. My son and me are getting ready to rebuild the 340 from my Dart, he can't wait. Nice cars you have there, I've always had a soft spot for the early Mustangs, one of my first rides in a fast car was a 69' Mach 1, I'll never forget that! Welcome by the way. If your son is interested get him involved on this site to, lots of great folks here and I'm sure they would love talking to a young fella willing to learn. Good luck with the Dart and thanks for getting one more "Young Gun" interested in Muscle cars, we need em' all! Keep us posted on the progress.

Jeff

Not much to add these guys have pretty much covered it. Working on anything with your kids is just plain cool and a gift many folks will never know or cherish. Well done good Sir and welcome from the frozen tundra. As you likely figured out already with this mob no pictures means it didn't happen! Hah! We do have Falcon Friday on here somewhere!

Heres a great orange if thats what you want. Siekens toner. I can get you the code if you want. Much brighter than hugger or hemi orange. Love the Stang.

KIMG2172.JPG

-
Back