hello new to mopar slant

-

BYM

Reaction score
hey just got a pretty banged up 1968 valiant slant 6
fixing it up

I have a problem with the 3 on tree shifter. the bottom part where it moves the transmissions rods... lots of play and seems to get stuck between neutral positions with both pivots....
but cant seem to find any parts to restore it, I have though about doing a floor shifter but i dont really want to since I have bigger plans on the future.

Go over to ss.org and see if you can score a new column with less wear on it.

Brewers may have what you are looking for.

Take the rods out and see if the tips are wallowed. You can get new bushings from Brewers or Passon. Pretty much anything you need to firm up the linkage is replaceable.

Go over to ss.org and see if you can score a new column with less wear on it.
Cant seem to find the site :/
Brewers may have what you are looking for.
Ive been looking in their site, wrote them to see if they offer something.
Take the rods out and see if the tips are wallowed. You can get new bushings from Brewers or Passon. Pretty much anything you need to firm up the linkage is replaceable.
Rods are ok apparently...
The play is on the column part where the rods attach...

Guatemala? Wow! How many miles (km?) Are on that thing.

I have a /6 3-on-the-tree in a 1964. Just over 100,000 miles. There is an adjustment shown in the Factory Service Manuals that may help out. Not just center-to-center rod length, but rotating a sleeve to take up slack. I've done that a couple times but started to have problems again, just as you describe. If you need new rubber bushings for the shifter rods, I have some. That also helps. Honestly, I don't think Brewers can help much. You also have to assure enough clutch disc departure.

You most likely have the baby trans like me, "A903" non-synchro first and reverse gears. Unfortunately, there are no provisions on the case to mount a floor shifter. A shifter mounted to the floor with rods going to the trans introduces another place to flex and bind up. If you can find a newer 1970-1981 all-synchro "A230" to swap in, that's a good way to go. I believe that's the one that had a floor shift standard. (Dusters, Darts, etc)

Guatemala? Wow! How many miles (km?) Are on that thing.

I have a /6 3-on-the-tree in a 1964. Just over 100,000 miles. There is an adjustment shown in the Factory Service Manuals that may help out. I've done that a couple times but I started to have problems again, just as you describe. If you need new rubber bushings for the shifter rods, I have some. That also helps. Honestly, I don't think Brewers can help much.

You most likely have the baby trans like me, "A903" non-synchro first and reverse gears. Unfortunately, there are no provisions on the case to mount a floor shifter. A shifter mounted to the floor with rods going to the trans introduces another place to flex and bind up. If you can find a newer 1970-1981 all-synchro "A230" to swap in, that's a good way to go. I believe that's the one that had a floor shift standard. (Dusters, Darts, etc)

haha yeah on Guatemala, this car has gone through a lot... I recently got it on a deal, so im figuring out a way to restore it a bit.. maybe in the future a small block with auto trans swap. but for now I want it to just work properly kill all the rusted parts and so on...
odometer reed 45k, judging by the car I wouldnt believe its true, its all rusted. hahaha just did the whole floor, now I gotta get to the trunk and rear fenders rust.
I believe this car sat for a long time out and ruined slowly ruined it.. cool part is that nothing is missing atleast not the most important parts and it runs.
yes its the a903. if you had an image of your columns shifter part would be awesome. on mine I see a lame spring also..... i have been writing and searching for days now and no answer or even a diagram. there's an old guy who used to work on lots of mopars here and he claims he has fixed many of these and he might even have a spare 3 speed column laying around his shop... so ill check that out...

You can download parts, and service manuals, here.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
Might have the info you need. If you find worn parts, locate the part numbers, and do a search for the part here. Welcome to the PartsVoice Parts Locator
ill take a look into this :) thanks!!
thank you, mine is not like this... it has 2 rods directly to the transmission shifters, which the attach to the 2 rods coming from the steering column. its a manual transmission...

Just swap in a four speed you can use your existing z bar linkages and bell housing just need four speed shifter and linkages and tunnel.

Just swap in a four speed you can use your existing z bar linkages and bell housing just need four speed shifter and linkages and tunnel.
Well I plan on swapping in a small block in a near future. Possibly a 318 with a 727... Spending on a transmission just to able to move around where I keep my cars, plus its hard to find parts in Guatemala city Central America for mopars in general... Trying to re build it and wait till i have a nice setup to swap in

-
Back