Hellwig 5905 sway bar install troubles 74 duster

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
Trying to install the hellwig 5905 1 1/8 in solid sway bar in my 74 plymouth duster with factory sway bar lower control arms. Seems like the bar mounts up too high and makes contact with the inside top portion of the k member. And when trying to mount the ends to the lower control arms the bolts aren't long enough for the top washer and nut. The sway bar seems to be facing the correct direction. Anyone else ever have any trouble installing one of these?

Here are a couple of pictures.

20180510_150940.jpg

20180510_150954.jpg

As you can see I have the bracket lose on the k frame. If I pull it all the way down the sway bar gets pulled up against the k frame

Dont forget to check caliper clearance when you turn tight either side. You might need to move the calipers to the back. Which means swapping sides.

Trying to install the hellwig 5905 1 1/8 in solid sway bar in my 74 plymouth duster with factory sway bar lower control arms. Seems like the bar mounts up too high and makes contact with the inside top portion of the k member. And when trying to mount the ends to the lower control arms the bolts aren't long enough for the top washer and nut. The sway bar seems to be facing the correct direction. Anyone else ever have any trouble installing one of these?
Food for thought, but it looks like some 1/2 inch spacers would do the trick.

All you need are longer sway bar links. End links...

Have you tried flipping the bar over? You may have it on there upside down. Take it off, flip it left to right.

I have a Hellwig on my '74, it's the hollow version but the shape it pretty much the same. Here's mine mounted on my car...
IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

When I tried to install the sway bar end links like the directions show there wasn't even enough room to get a nut started. The sway bar ends were at so much of an angle the the bushings wouldn't seat in the hole correctly. I had to use a shorter spacer to get them to connect. We pulled the sway bar back out thinking it was installed upside down and looked like we had it in there correct with the way that it bends.

72blunblu your bar looks like it has more of a bend in it than mine does where it goes into the k member

When I tried to install the sway bar end links like the directions show there wasn't even enough room to get a nut started. The sway bar ends were at so much of an angle the the bushings wouldn't seat in the hole correctly. I had to use a shorter spacer to get them to connect. We pulled the sway bar back out thinking it was installed upside down and looked like we had it in there correct with the way that it bends.

And you can’t rotate the bar so the ends have less angle because it hits the K frame right?

It doesn’t seem to fit the way it’s installed, so, whether it “looks right” or no lt I would at least try flipping it over. Either it’ll work or it won’t, but given what you have at the moment something isn’t right...

Seems like I had similar issue when installing my Hellwig bit it ended up working out. Almost like the links were a hair short

I'm going to try flipping it again tomorrow morning and see where that gets me. I'll report back. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mine has the bulge to the bottom. Mine doesn't have much of a bend to it at all it compared to others I've seen.

20180511_110659.jpg

20180511_110635.jpg

20180511_110544.jpg

It's been 6 years since I installed mine, but I've made a small write up on my site at the time with a pic;
Hellwig Swaybar

Maybe the K-member is tweaked a bit on your car?
To finish the job, I would probably add a .5" slab of aluminium under each mount and tighten it all up.

I think I might have used a floor jack to compress the bushings and push the link up thru the tab on control arm and get the top nut started.

I have the hollow bar but had the same issue, bar hit upper inside of K frame when i tried to tighten these bolts. Bought some bar stock at Home Depot and made up some spacers-I think mine are 3/16 but you might need something else. Fit perfectly after that.
Sway bar tabs.jpg

I just got done installing the hollow tube Hellwig. No problems with fitment at all. Small dip to bottom. Had to drill the holes and mount the tabs for end link. Nothing even near hitting it on steering lock to lock.
Haven't driven it yet, so hot out and am inside cooling off. But it looks like it will work just fine. So far, I'd recommend to anyone.
Mine is for the 74 Duster. 55905 part number.

I got mine installed. Had to use 1/2 inch spacers. My bar is the solid bar and I guess they didn't get enough of a bend in it. Mine was hitting inside of the k frame.

I just got done installing the hollow tube Hellwig. No problems with fitment at all. Small dip to bottom. Had to drill the holes and mount the tabs for end link. Nothing even near hitting it on steering lock to lock.
Haven't driven it yet, so hot out and am inside cooling off. But it looks like it will work just fine. So far, I'd recommend to anyone.
Mine is for the 74 Duster. 55905 part number.

has been a bit warm here for days.

Have to work on mine early in the morning or late at night.

Well, went out and drove Duster later. Handles so much better. Also doesn't have that floating feeling in the front now.
Did have a thunk and a creaking noise from each side once, but never heard them again. Even hit a little rougher patches of road to see if I could duplicate sounds. Everything looks good still.
Great product and an excellent addition to the Duster!

-
Back