HELP 383 big block issues

-

dazedand confused

Reaction score
working on my buddys 69 dodge charger general Lee I'm usually pretty good a fix and modifying mopar stuff including the engines but im stumped on this . it has I believe a high milage 383 4 barrel with dual exhaust . the distributor has been professionally rebuilt and is a points distributor. the carb is a edelbrock that has been rebuilt by me . new plugs , new msd coil for points with an msd ballast resistor for points . I brought the #1 pistion up on compression TDC and checked the timing mark on the balancer . it doesn't seem to be off on the timing marks and I made sure to follow the firing order for the plug wires and the direction of the rotor on top dead center at #1 plug wire terminal. the engine smells like it's running rich of gas with some oil mixed in and what smells like oil out the pipes and it has a random popping sound at idle through the exhaust pipes not the carb ! unless I give it the gas and it caughs a little. I did find a leak between the manifold flang and the exhaust pipe but since sealed it up and no leaks between the manifolds and heads . could the new points be shot ? or plug wires leaking ? I dont get shocked when touching the plug wires? leaky valves ?

Last edited:
Lets try to eliminate the possibility of vacuum leaks. With the motor idling- put your hand partially over the carb, restricting the air flow. Does the motor speed up or change in some other way? If the motor speeds up or idles better- you have a vacuum leak.

Random popping out the exhaust sounds a little like 5 and 7 plug wires swapped, but a tired engine can also cause that. Had that on a 340 I recently worked on. It had too much cam and two slightly bent exhaust valves.

Could also be OPEN plug wires, that is internally burned and not visible. This allows spark voltage to climb high and will cause crossfire to other cylinders.

-
Back