HELP 67 barracuda back up light switch

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I lost my back up lights, when I activate the switch on the lower column they come on , I had changed that switch about 14 years ago and can remember what goes in that switch to activate it. There aren't any nubs or tabs that I can see. Can someone sell me what I need or can I possibly fabricate one? Does anybody have a picture of it? , thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the post that fits on the column broke. Yours would probably be white. Post some photos of your setup

The small post fits into the large post and spreads it at the left side after it is installed into the column.

They are not reproduced, but can still be had Google the part number. Word of caution, be sitting down before you Google.:lol:

There are also other ways to do it. But you would prob need to pull the steering column to do it.

Look on your FSM there are photos of it installed
15895070333478945170279238038911.jpg

Mine is white Im not having any luck with google, am I doing something wrong?

I found it, Now does anyone have a steering column with this pin in good shape? 02883211

White one is a different number. We're pretty sure it was superceded in 1968 by the number you posted.

I lost my back up lights, when I activate the switch on the lower column they come on , I had changed that switch about 14 years ago and can remember what goes in that switch to activate it. There aren't any nubs or tabs that I can see. Can someone sell me what I need or can I possibly fabricate one? Does anybody have a picture of it? , thanks in advance.
I realise you are having troubles but I removed your phone number from your post. It's for your internet safety. I also removed your "want to buy" phrase. You will need to start a parts wanted thread if y
White one is a different number. We're pretty sure it was superceded in 1968 by the number you posted.
Crazy idea but aren't the switches on the older models on the transmission? 3 wire?

Crazy idea but aren't the switches on the older models on the transmission? 3 wire?
IIRC the back up light switch on the automatic transmission began with the '69 model year.
67-8 automatics it was a switch on the column or floor shifter.

To convert to the later switch on the trans must have '69 up 'rooster comb' in the transmission.

Last edited:
reverse_pins_2007-jpg.1715348340

p/n for 1967 pin 2880 948
Lots of info in here and its links: 67 reverse light actuator pin?
Except that my statements about the lengths being different are wrong.
As you can see the 'extra length' is the internal section that locks the pin in place.

Last edited:
As far as we can tell, they are dimensionally the same. Just different material or maybe just the color of the material.
Some guys have posted about threading a screw in. I don't know how successful that is over time.

Screw could be a option car doesn't get driven every day, I took one out of another column but Im not sure if it will stay tight when I try to reinstall. Im still listening for options fellows.

I tried to put the pin in today, after removing the switch Ive come to the conclusion that the man that put the power steering kit in must have put the steering shaft in the column upside down because there is no hole for the trip pin. Is that possible?

To finally get done I tapped the hole with 1/4 20 and put a allen screw in with red lock tight. This will out last the car.

-
Back