Help a fella understand Federal PS pump pulleys

-

MCPObr44

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I went and did something stupid, and I destroyed the pulley on my federal power steering pump for my 1971 Valiant Slant six car. Part number stamped on the pulley is 82668 1980. I measured the pulley at 6.75 inches od and 5/8" shaft od. with a press fit.

I've spent several hours trying to figure out exactly what pulley I need to order and from who, and I can't seem to find the right one. Usually they say something like "Hemi only!", or it's slightly the wrong size like being 7" (too big) or 6 1/4 (too small). What the heck?!?

I found this one Federal Power Steering Pump Pulley And it's too small. It even contradicts itself right in the listing "Federal PS Pulley!" "Doesn't Fit Federal!" WTH?

Then I found this one March Performance - Chrysler Federal Press Fit Power-Steering Single Groove V-Belt Pulley and it's too big.

Then I try googling the part number, and I find lots of "82668" pulleys, but they all have different later numbers (not 1980).

Am I just overthinking this? I just want to pay my money and have a pulley that works correctly. An added bonus would be a non obnoxious looking pulley like that mancini one... but I digress.

I did the same thing, and my conclusion was that you could not buy a correct Federal pulley for a slant six. I gave up and installed a Saginaw pump, which is a better pump, anyway. But it did need a different bracket set, which can only be found used..

Forget the Federal on anything performance, it just cannot keep up. I tried really hard,
Bolted on a Saginaw, and had to "de-performance" it,lol.
Well this isn't a performance application, so I would like to keep the federal pump. Replacing it is just out of the budget right now.

The fun part is going to be pressing that pulley back on without making every seal and O-ring leak.

Oh, is the center shaft threaded on yours?
Yes. Threaded on the inside, so I can use the installer tool.
Does that make any difference in my search for a pulley? Maybe change the kind of pulley I'm looking for?

That will make it much easier to install. The plain end shafts are a pain. You need to get the same pulley you took off so the diameter and offset are the same.

My factory book lists the part number as being 2951157, assuming yours is a stock factory setup. That may help with your search.

That will make it much easier to install. The plain end shafts are a pain. You need to get the same pulley you took off so the diameter and offset are the same.
Is there a trick to measuring the offset? I did some research, and it seemed that the offset was measured from the back end of the pulley to the middle of the V groove. And if this is right, my janky measuring with a measuring tape came in at 1.5 inches.
So... where would I get a press on federal style pulley that would work? Could I just use a pulley with a shorter offset, and just press it on "just enough" that it lines up with the rest of the pulleys... or would that not work? I was looking at that march performance pulley, and thinking that maybe the quarter of an inch size difference would be a benefit. It would slow down the pump, which I was reading helps tremendously with how the steering feels.

My factory book lists the part number as being 2951157, assuming yours is a stock factory setup. That may help with your search.
Oh holy wow yes! That's exactly what I needed! I found the (hopefully correct) pulley I needed instantly as soon as I googled the part number! And it wasn't much money either!

Thank you! You're a lifesaver! (probably literally because my car is unsafe at any speed without PS)

Okay guys, here's an update. I got my pulley in the mail today, and it is the exact correct pulley in every way. So if you are looking for a pulley for a 225 slant six with a federal pump just like I was... your part number is indeed 2951157.

And if anyone else is looking for that pulley, the fella I bought it from on ebay has one left. I paid 40 bucks plus shipping.

-
Back