Help! Alt wiring problem

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
We have a 71 Valiant with 318. New alternator still does not charge. Noticed an extra blue wire near the field wire connection - how many blue wires come off of the field wire of the alternator 1 or 2. Service manual wiring seems to show one. Can you guys check yours and let me know if you have one or two blue wires coming off of the alterntor field connection? Maybe one of mine came out but I'm not sure if it is for the alternator or Air Conditioner compressor.

Thanks

There should be green and blue field wires. Each one should go to a field terminal on the alternator. If your alternator only has one field terminal, then you have a pre-1970 alternator.

As stated above you should have two for the alt, mine has a blue for the a/c compressor in that same loom. If you have two blue wires you can test for continuity to the pressure shut off on the dryer to see which one is the compressor wire.

Thanks for the replies.

Here is the question that I really need answered. We have the "newer" regulator not the mid 60's style. This regulator has the triangle connector. We have the two field alternator with a green wire to one field and a blue to the other. I have a blue wire connected on the same harness already connected to the A/C compressor. Should the flat blue connector going to the field connector on the alternator have one or two wires on it?? There is a second wire there that is not connected that looks like it can go to the alternator, but I do not want to connect it if it shouldn't go there and make a short that can blow out my alt/reg.

In addition to the large black wire there should only be one blue and one green wire hooked up to the alternator. Those blue an green wires go to the regulator. So in essence there are 3 wires hooked up to the alternator. One large black wire, one blue wire, one green wire.

-
Back