Help an idiot pick a cam - 5.9 Magnum

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Heyah, guys.

My winter project list includes new cam for the 5.9L "Magnum 300" and I could use some help in picking the right one. My goal is for a strong/broad power band as I'm building this car to be more well-rounded rather than a dedicated drag car.

I have a 2600 RPM stall, will have (soon) 4.10 final drive. I currently have a 650 carb, stock heads...

Complication: Probably within the not too distant future, I hope to swap on aluminum heads and I'm also eyeballing a manual transmission conversion some time down the road...can those be accommodated with a particular cam or should they be done first?

Any thoughts, suggestions, random (preferably non-personal) insults, or golf tips are welcome.

20-810-9 - Xtreme Energy™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts
Don't know if you are running a LA timing cover or Magnum.
Now that is a good all around cam fornthe "LA" engine BUT could be a problem with the new lift on a Magnum engine. At .570 lift with the Magnums 1.6 rocker instead of the LA 1.5 rocker which the cam lift is based on, there could be a valve to piston clearance problem unless you have deep valve reliefs in an aftermarket piston.

-
Back