Help... got a few questions on the '65

-

moper

Reaction score
Ok, so i finally took the Barracuda for a short drive after doing some basic stuff on it. So more questions... pardon the ignorance...lol. Do the turn signals cancel on these cars? Mine doesnt seem to, but it feels odd to me, like the turn signal switch might be busted. Next, this is a cable shifted trans. Are the /6 trannys like the V8 ones... meaning they use the later style torque convertors but are cable operated like the earlier ones?

Hey Moper, sounds like you have a broken canceling cam in that there column. If you call Deutchman Automotive out of Bowling Green, Oh., Jeff will be able to fix you up with a new set up. As for the trans, I can tell you that the 65 trans is cable operated, but also should have a slip joint rear tailshaft that accepts a U-joint rather than the ball and trunnion units from 64. The torque converter i'm not sure about. Hope this helps, Geof

I got a cancel cam from NAPA for my 63 Dart that worked just fine. It was the one that didn't have the wires attached to it, just the plastic. Might be the same for a 65.

Ok, so i finally took the Barracuda for a short drive after doing some basic stuff on it. So more questions... pardon the ignorance...lol. Do the turn signals cancel on these cars? Mine doesnt seem to, but it feels odd to me, like the turn signal switch might be busted. Next, this is a cable shifted trans. Are the /6 trannys like the V8 ones... meaning they use the later style torque convertors but are cable operated like the earlier ones?

My '65 Dart small block trans is cable operated and uses the b&t joint. I have a '65 big block trans in my Coronet which is cable operated but uses a slip joint. The convertor change over was in late '66. You hace the early convertor in your car unless the trans input has been changed. Pat Blais (Torqueflite Patty) has convertors available.

66 was the switch over to a U-joint on A-bodies.

Turn signals are a $5 fix.

The transmission your car was born with was cable shifted, ball & truninon output, ant early style converter.

I'm in the same boat with my swap, but haven't decided which way to go. I have a V8 cable shift front case, a 72 core transmission, a low gear set and 5 disk front drum out of an 80's transmission, and my 65 slant transmission. I had originally planned a "Frankentranny" using mostly 72 guts with 65 mainshaft and rear case. This would look correct visually, and I would just shorten my current driveshaft for the 8 3/4 as the B&T is recently rebuilt. This would saddle me with the 65 valve body for which less stuff is available.

Since my car is not strictly a resto, but a driver, I will probably rebuild and beef the 72 tranny and use the conversion shift cable from Imperial Services, and use a later driveshaft. The cable is slightly spendy, but I can keep my original floor shifter. If it was a pushbutton car, this would be the obvious choice.

A small aftermarket shifter (Hurst or B&M) can be made to fit inside the original floor shifter console. Cost would be similar to the conversion cable. The advantage here is if you plan to race the car; a common NHRA approved shifter will get you through tech quicker.

One other stumbling block might be the speedo cable. I think the 65 cable housing and pinion carrier are crimped together. 66 and later threaded together, but pre-67 speedometers use a threaded connector, not the later snap on plastic connector. My plan is to use a 66 cable. I hope it will work

Thanks Guys! I am looking into the turn signals... I'll have to get in it and see what's not right. ON the trans, C130, my thought was similar. Someone's been in it because it shifts oddly for a stock unit. I just dont know how far in they got. I'm thinking of swapping in the guts from a 70s/6 904 to get the later input. I'm not going V8 on it, so the 904 will be plenty. Thanks again guys

-
Back