HELP!!! Hughes Retro Fit Roller Lifters Problems

-

ev2

old guy
Reaction score
How loud are these lifters. Do they clack clack clack really loud like mine
My engine sounds like a diesel . Seems like they need more oil to be less nosey Who has these lifter installed that can help has anyone run hughes retro fit roller lifters in a 340 block

If you have magnum heads AKA pedastal rocker arms and used a LA soild push rods then you have no oil getting to the rockers .

Magnum heads oil the rockers via the push rods
LA heads with Shaft rockers oil through the heads via the cam shaft, no unless you put a factor early roller cam without Groves in the cam bearing lobes , that also will cause the problem.

Have you put a oil pressure gage on yet ansd started the motor? It sounds like the oil pump drive isn't engaging the oil pump since when you prime the motor oil is flowing just fine.

That pressure sounds way too high and it may be indicating that yes, you have a big problem. Didn't you changed the cam and lifters as well as heads? Was the oil pressure more normal before that change? What makes this mystery so wierd is you can index the cam to line up the oil holes and get plenty of oil to the rockers. Otherwise I would venture that there was no oil going to the cam or beyond, as in the cam doesn't have the oil holes or the cam bearings are not in the proper orientation.

When you measured for pushrods, did they offer, and you use test lifter and pushrod?
Did you add for preload?
Was your lifter bores champhered?
Pushrods solid or oilthrough?

I have had many issues with the plungers sticking with these lifters, Thats why we have our own now.

check by a retable shop , looking for answers now .I thinking the retro roller as the problem now ,or a clearance problem ,stroker with engine girdle, solid rods

check by a retable shop , looking for answers now .I thinking the retro roller as the problem now ,or a clearance problem ,stroker with engine girdle, solid rods
Just for craps and giggles, I don't have any clearance issues on the 340 in the entire lift ranges, what is/are your cam specs?
Also did you get custom length pushrods? I had to have a set made.

I was finally able to here your video!!!!!!

pull them valve cover off, get a adj push rod, and find out how deep them lifter need to be preloaded and set it. send that push rod out and have 16 new ones build.

I Hyd lifter will not pump up if it has too much or not enough preload in the lifter.

When the pushrods set the proper preload of the lifter and it still is noise, THEN you will need to replace them as well.

LIFTER PRE LOAD IS YOUR ISSUE.

You need to make sure you have enough valve to guide/spring for the lift that you have. this is vary important!!

You just might find bent push rods when you get into it.

Get the valve cover off and see what you see

Was your lifter bores champhered?

If your lifter bores are champhered, and the base circle of the cam is big with a high lift cam then oil will bleed off at max lift and the lifters will be noisy. Did you run the oil pump with a drill while turning the engine by hand with intake off to make sure you did not have excessive bleed off at max lift?

check lifters with intake off . most were oiling well ,you could see oil coming out like a small ring of oil around the lifter but no pumping oil out

Had covers off ,2 turns preload , hughes mag hy roller cam ,when priming by hand or running engine lifters pump up nice

Had covers off ,2 turns preload , hughes mag hy roller cam ,when priming by hand or running engine lifters pump up nice

You can stick a Mag cam in an LA block? I didn't know you could do that. I always thought they were different.

-
Back