HELP! I bought a mess?

-
Welcome aboard. Lots of good advice here. As mentioned magnum swaps can be done, but are not a direct swap. With your admitted limited mech skills, I would be tempted to put a running pre magnum 318 in it and swap the intake and adjustable rockers over to it.
Good luck and keep asking questions.
Thanks. Let me clarify a little. I have rebuilt more than a few mid 70's to 80's Chrysler small blocks and the one 440 I have in my Roadrunner right now. I did all of the restoration on the RR to include all of the interior with the exception of the paint and body work and the seat recovering. I have rebuilt 727, 904, and A-833 transmissions before. I have just never dealt with mismatched parts or the adjustable rocker arms. That is where my comfort zone is a little lacking. To date I have only really delved into things kept the way Ma Mopar originally made them. The basic knowledge and skill is there though.

I say use your Magnum short block and flex plate, and get some CH318B Engine quest heads and a solid cam and lifters then use everything else from the LA motors.
Your LD340 will fit those heads and will work great on it.
Then you can learn what those adjustable rockers are about.:D
I have looked a little into the engine quest heads but my impression of them is that they use all of the magnum parts on them and that the older rockers will not work on them. Am I incorrect?

I have looked a little into the engine quest heads but my impression of them is that they use all of the magnum parts on them and that the older rockers will not work on them. Am I incorrect?

No, you are correct.
Sorry I stupidly misspoke on that.

Those are the factory “low performance” springs.
340’s used red springs.

Those heads most likely came off a 360-2bbl.

In theory, a 67 273 would have a solid cam.
Do the rockers have some lash?

If you’re pulling the motor anyway, the “what I would do” answer is find a 360 and freshen that instead.

You could have the new motor all done and ready to go before disabling the car.
Now that I found my feeler gauges... The largest gap I can find, not knowing exactly which cylinder is where currently because I haven't yet pulled the plugs and bumped the motor around is currently #1 exhaust with 0.025.

Here's my advice. Find a 360. They are usually fairly cheap. Put those heads on it. Done.

Of course you need to freshen it all up but that's the way to get to where you want to be.

Those are not really mismatched parts. That head swap was don't all the time when I was young to both the 273 and 318's so nothing is really mismatched.

Also, I know a FABO member here who has a really nice 318 short block for sale with nice parts. You just rebuild your heads, slap them on his short block and go.

The only issue is of course shipping. But engines get shipped every day.

If you want to talk to him you can PM him here.

lead69 is who you want to PM. Worth the time to PM him.

Someone may have already noted this but the block is painted Corp blue. If it was unaltered 273 it would be red (looks orange to the eye)

Someone may have already noted this but the block is painted Corp blue. If it was unaltered 273 it would be red (looks orange to the eye)
Nope you are right. Someone repainted it previously. It is stamped C273 but it is definitely the wrong color.

Painted would suggest it has been out of the car. So internals are a guess now.

Here's my advice. Find a 360. They are usually fairly cheap. Put those heads on it. Done.

Of course you need to freshen it all up but that's the way to get to where you want to be.

Those are not really mismatched parts. That head swap was don't all the time when I was young to both the 273 and 318's so nothing is really mismatched.

Also, I know a FABO member here who has a really nice 318 short block for sale with nice parts. You just rebuild your heads, slap them on his short block and go.

The only issue is of course shipping. But engines get shipped every day.

If you want to talk to him you can PM him here.

lead69 is who you want to PM. Worth the time to PM him.
Good to know the swap was no big deal back in the day. I was worried researching initially when I was told they were 340 heads and everything I read said that was bad news on the 273. Knowing that since it hasn't self destructed and they are likely the 360 version of this casting and was regularly done is reassuring.

We have to mid to late 70's complete 318 cores that I could rebuild sitting in the shed at my father's place. So that would be an easy grab.

So from everyone's perspective would it be better to rebuild one of those 318 cores with the top end I have with the car now or would it be better to do the Magnum swap. If you did the 318 with the adjustable rockers would you go solid cam and lifters of hydraulic? Would you need shorter or different push rods to convert it to hydraulic lifters?

The car being a convertible and for my wife primarily will never be built to go to the strip but she does like it to get up and go when she steps on it. Also considering reliability and drivability.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's experience and knowledge.

Painted would suggest it has been out of the car. So internals are a guess now.
Right?! I know it is really going to come down to what I find when I pull it and tear into it and start a deep inspection. Hopefully in the coming weeks. I really appreciate all the info to help me decide if it is worth the trouble or not.

LOL...too bad my current moderate mechanical ability doesn't include anything in the way of knowledge as to what to do with them.

There is a wealth of info here so search and ask away. Come up with a plan, goals and budget. You'll get the help you need here along the way, mild to wild.

So this is a numbers matching block? Keep it with the car even if you don’t use it. No harm in keeping it.

I didn't see anywhere you said what transmission you're running.

Not sure what year but there was a change to the A904 Hub diameter going into the crank. I don't know if it was changed in 67 or 68. Someone else will chime in.

You can run an early transmission behind a later engine, you just need to use a bushing.

I'm a OE junky so I would stay with the 273.

BUT...

the cost of new pistons for a 273 is outrageous, food for thought.

I didn't see anywhere you said what transmission you're running.

Not sure what year but there was a change to the A904 Hub diameter going into the crank. I don't know if it was changed in 67 or 68. Someone else will chime in.

You can run an early transmission behind a later engine, you just need to use a bushing.
Car is a 904 with 8 3/4 rear

So this is a numbers matching block? Keep it with the car even if you don’t use it. No harm in keeping it.
Well since there were no VIN stampings on the blocks in 67 all I can say is it is a 1967 short block yes. I have the correct 1967 date coded intake with 2bbl carb (#2536559). It would appear from the knowledge here I have the correct original rockers and push rods. The original heads are long gone. The ones my uncle got that he was told were the original 273 heads are actually a casting that belongs to a 77-84 318 (#4027593).

Like I said...."cool" hot mess!!! Could you tell us what you paid for it. We like to keep track of what these cars go for on FABO>
I gave $9k for it.

20191011_125852.jpg

20191011_125949.jpg

WOW!!!! IDK...I would think about using what you have to keep it original. OTOH, you should be able to use a 318 that you have and those heads and build a killer on the cheap. You could buy a 4 inch stroke crank and end up at 391 CID, assuming a .030 overbore.

Those heads, a nice tight lash solid lifter cam (you already have the rockers) and a 3.55-3.73 gear and you have a super nice iron ball tire tire smoker right there.

WOW!!!! IDK...I would think about using what you have to keep it original. OTOH, you should be able to use a 318 that you have and those heads and build a killer on the cheap. You could buy a 4 inch stroke crank and end up at 391 CID, assuming a .030 overbore.

Those heads, a nice tight lash solid lifter cam (you already have the rockers) and a 3.55-3.73 gear and you have a super nice iron ball tire tire smoker right there.
Well that plan certainly has my attention but I ran it past the wife and she gave me the stink eye and reminded me I already have my car and this one is for her...LMAO. Looks like the first step will be pulling the motor and keeping my fingers crossed that all it needs is a full gasket kit.

Well that plan certainly has my attention but I ran it past the wife and she gave me the stink eye and reminded me I already have my car and this one is for her...LMAO. Looks like the first step will be pulling the motor and keeping my fingers crossed that all it needs is a full gasket kit.

Ahhhh...you just gotta sell it. Tell her this is a torque monster and it will make it much easier to drive and the extra inches will make it get better fuel economy.

Then tell her that strokers have much better emissions and they get extra points at car shows.

You just gotta sell it!!!!

Hey YR, you are contradicting yourself... :poke:
Usually you are advocating strokers ONLY when used with the best of them very good heads... otherwise the poor engine will fall off a log past 4800rpm dadada... lol

But I like the idea to go stroker with a 318 block... only that the OP will have to sink thousands of $'s into it then... and the better half might not like that. :)

-
Back