Help I lost my nuts...lol

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Lost the two nuts that go on the lower control arm studs that go through the K member. What size are the nuts. I know they are fine thread..or where can i get them

Last edited:
5/8 x 18
Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, any local to you, well stocked hardware store.
Or dozens of internet bolt vendors that are out there.

Well, got beat to the internet keyboard my a minute.

5/8 x 18

Yeah went by lowes unfortunately they didnt have any. Checking Tractor Supply tomorrow..not sure how i threw them out lol..

5/8 x 18

Well, got beat to the internet keyboard my a minute.

I realize that you're just trying to help, but this is horrible advice. That's guaranteeing cheap Chinese **** hardware that's going to be subgrade at best.

OP, contact a fastener store where someone can GUARANTEE country of origin, or order them from McMaster Carr (you still need to verify country of origin which is in the product details on their site).

I check threads every day and most Chinese fasteners barely fit, let alone carry critical load.

I haven't worked on a front end in decades, so I could be off-base, here, but aren't those nuts kinda special looking. I think they were self-locking, too.

I realize that you're just trying to help, but this is horrible advice. That's guaranteeing cheap Chinese **** hardware that's going to be subgrade at best.

OP, contact a fastener store where someone can GUARANTEE country of origin, or order them from McMaster Carr (you still need to verify country of origin which is in the product details on their site).

I check threads every day and most Chinese fasteners barely fit, let alone carry critical load.
I really don't know how to reply to the remark that you just printed, turning this guys wanted ad into your own personal commentary.
Why is purchasing at one of the well known, national hardware stores a bad idea for nuts, and bolts?
That's your own flawed, personal opinion.
There is not going to be anything wrong with those items at any of those places, for two self locking nuts, that's he's after.
He's not building the next generation Martian Rover, and what he buys will work just fine.

I haven't worked on a front end in decades, so I could be off-base, here, but aren't those nuts kinda special looking. I think they were self-locking, too.

Yeah but im just gonna put some lock washers on them. Im not paying premium price for a few nuts..never had any come off ive put on lol..some people go crazy over a few NUTS..pun intended

Yes, they are self locking nuts.
Pretty sure my local to me, Lowes store, has them in their specialty fasteners drawers.

Yes, they are self locking nuts.
Pretty sure my local to me, Lowes store, has them in their specialty fasteners drawers.

Biggest i seen at Lowes was 1/2 . Just left Menards they had the correct size but not self locking. Lock washers and these will have to work for me. I love Chinese nuts..especially with chicken and broccoli

Biggest i seen at Lowes was 1/2 . Just left Menards they had the correct size but not self locking. Lock washers and these will have to work for me. I love Chinese nuts..especially with chicken and broccoli
I think I'd rather opt for blue loctite over a lockwasher. Don't forget to use that extra thick flat washer against the k-member.

5/8 X 18 is not a fine thread. 5/8 X 24 would be a fine thread and I just went thru this at Ace Hardware today. I needed 5/16 X 24 nuts and they only had 3 when I needed 4. Never fails!

Well, if you were at my house you could find them in one of my front end parts bins...It's likely that I have 10-20 extras...

5/8 X 18 is not a fine thread. 5/8 X 24 would be a fine thread and I just went thru this at Ace Hardware today. I needed 5/16 X 24 nuts and they only had 3 when I needed 4. Never fails!

Its fine thread says right on package i bought and fits perfect. There is more than one fine nut..18 threads per inch verse 24 threads per inch

Put up a wanted add, someone will have a set of used originals.

Per Machinery's Hand Book 25

5/8-18 is UNF

5/8-24 is UNEF

That's incorrect.
You are posting wrong information.
5/8 X 11 is course thread
5/8 x 18 is fine thread.
5/8 X 24 is another fine pitch, thread size.

Your 5/16 nuts needed, are a whole lot different than 5/8, the op is after.

Last edited:
I really don't know how to reply to the remark that you just printed, turning this guys wanted ad into your own personal commentary.
Why is purchasing at one of the well known, national hardware stores a bad idea for nuts, and bolts?
That's your own flawed, personal opinion.
There is not going to be anything wrong with those items at any of those places, for two self locking nuts, that's he's after.
He's not building the next generation Martian Rover, and what he buys will work just fine.

Buy a thread gage and check 'em yourself.

Front suspension? Great place to cheap out.
BTW....drive around all day trying to find 'em, or order McMaster and get exactly what you need, next day....
Yeah, that's a hard decision.

Buy a thread gage and check 'em yourself.

Front suspension? Great place to cheap out.
BTW....drive around all day trying to find 'em, or order McMaster and get exactly what you need, next day....
Yeah, that's a hard decision.
Go back and read posting #4.
The op already figured out the diameter, and thread size that's he's needing.
How many of us, that aren't machinists, toolmakers, have a thread gauge in their toolbox, so that's why he posted the question.

And i will state it again, the op can use whatever lock nuts that he can find, purchase.

Remember decades ago, when America actually had trade, high schools, that you could attend.
I went to Kaynor Tech School in Connecticut training to be a machinist - toolmaker, back in the day.
Upon graduation i worked in a factory for more than a year, and said this, (F it) factory work is not what i want the rest of my life.
Joined the Air Force and then maintained F-4 Phantoms, and T-37 Trainers, for 7 years of my enlistments.

So i know all about nuts, and bolts, tensile strength, grading of nuts and bolts, and the op isn't going to have a problem if he bought from Wall Mart, Grainger, McMaster Carr, or any another of internet vendors, new, or used.

Go back and read posting #4.
The op already figured out the diameter, and thread size that's he's needing.
How many of us, that aren't machinists, toolmakers, have a thread gauge in their toolbox, so that's why he posted the question.

And i will state it again, the op can use whatever lock nuts that he can find, purchase.

Remember decades ago, when America actually had trade, high schools, that you could attend.
I went to Kaynor Tech School in Connecticut training to be a machinist - toolmaker, back in the day.
Upon graduation i worked in a factory for more than a year, and said this, (F it) factory work is not what i want the rest of my life.
Joined the Air Force and then maintained F-4 Phantoms, and T-37 Trainers, for 7 years of my enlistments.

So i know all about nuts, and bolts, tensile strength, grading of nuts and bolts, and the op isn't going to have a problem if he bought from Wall Mart, Grainger, McMaster Carr, or any another of internet vendors, new, or used.

You win, your peepee is bigger than mine. Us engineers that design machinery for a living don't know anything. You guys that service what we design, get your replacement parts from the parts catalog in the supply depot, and create the need for defensive design know way more. Carry on.

You win, your peepee is bigger than mine. Us engineers that design machinery for a living don't know anything. You guys that service what we design, get your replacement parts from the parts catalog in the supply depot, and create the need for defensive design know way more. Carry on.
In the beginning what made you putting in your 2 cents worth that hardware store nuts and bolts are inferior to anything else that's on the market?
You could have kept your fingers off the keyboard from the get go.
And where are you really going to find anything that's made in America anymore.
So your some sort of mechanical designer, good for you in the living that you do, nothing wrong with that.
But again the op is working on a damm car, and not the Space Shuttle.

Every so often one has to get into a pissing contest on the internet.
Who would have thunk it, all over the op's question in regards to the size, and thread pitch of a nut.

-
Back