Help ID a833

-
I still claim the 3x low gear is weak. I don't know why you would want that low "low" in a light HP street car. Example, i swapped a 340 into my 70RR Fairly heavy car and had Dana rear, 3.54. It had the original 18 spline box which has the highest 1st gear they made. I towed another car and all my gear clear up from San Diego. I admit, that took some careful launching, but everyday driving was no problelm.

Rolling burnout in 1st gear
No clutch dump to break things.
You could be right Del, and maybe I won’t like it. If so I’ll change it.
Not sure why you think 1st is weak.

Not sure why you think 1st is weak.
Mainshaft first gear in that box is,with the exception of the close-ratio T/A box, the same gear in all other versions of that box, and is the strongest gear in there.
But the cluster gear for first, is the smallest, with the heaviest per-tooth loading. That still doesn't make it weak, cuz I have never met a guy who ever broke it. I have been abusing the crap out of Mopar boxes for decades, with nary a thought to; "is this the time first gear blows up?"
On the street with street tires and not with Assassin-type Bars, I am not afraid to drop the hammer at max torque. I mean there is no reason to do that, lol , but I have done it on occasion. And while I only have a 367, it does make pretty good torque.
Your 7260 U-joints will blow up long before anything in the trans is stressed
Your 7290 U-joints will feel the pain, but they will survive for a while.
1350s seem to have solved my driveshaft rolling down the street problems, hopefully forever.

-
Back