Help identify piece

-

Vandal

Reaction score
Hello Mopar community, I have about a month with my first classic mopar car( 1970 Dodge Dart Custom) it’s been running pretty good until it didn’t, so I’m gonna start the rebuilding process( again this is my first and also I’m very young/inexperienced) I have changed the belts, the alternator, starter, battery cables, the voltage regulator, ballot resistor, and now I want to change this piece that goes on top of the engine block I don’t know the name, so please don’t eat me alive on this one.

image.jpg

The only way to learn, is to ask questions. Keep plugging away & it will all begin to make sense.

I'm all for encouraging the young guns & people new to Mopars, no matter their age. We all started out with little, or no knowledge & the greater majority of us have progressed to where we are today. Some others, not so much. LMAO

If you end up replacing it look into the NAPA #29325 - which I found out from some old post @slantsixdan replied to where he listed PCV part numbers. I was buying the PCVs Autozone recommended for my /6s and they just never seemed "right". They were unusually loud when the engine was running... in way where I could hear them when I was driving. I took a ride to the local NAPA and switched it out to the one Dan mentioned and it made a world of difference... idle smoothed out, no crazy a$$ vacuum rattle from under the hood. The NAPA one just seems to be made "better" I guess.

Positive Crankcase Venilation valve (PCV valve).
Quick lesson:
It can be cleaned internally with carburetor spray. If you hear it shake and jingle, its probably good, not broken. If its broken or cracked it creates a vacume leak and engine will stumble.
Spring and seal in there moves back and forth with crankcase pressures when working properly.

Last edited:
You should be able to test by blowing into it. Should flow one way and not the other.

If you end up replacing it look into the NAPA #29325 - which I found out from some old post @slantsixdan replied to where he listed PCV part numbers (…) switched it out to the one Dan mentioned and it made a world of difference... idle smoothed out, no crazy a$$ vacuum rattle from under the hood.

I ain't quite as dumb as I seem.
:lol:

Thanks to all of you for the helpful tips, also for the reinforced encouragement!

... idle smoothed out, no crazy a$$ vacuum rattle from under the hood. The NAPA one just seems to be made "better" I guess.
turns out the wrong PCV can screw up how your engine runs. not hyping these, just some interesting reading

not hyping these, just some interesting reading

@kursplat I was just looking in to those after following another member's garage build where he mentioned them and it sent me down the PCV rabbit hole... I had to throw it on the "eventually" wishlist for now... incredible amount of info for something, that at first glance, seems like such a simple, "nothing" component.

@kursplat I was just looking in to those after following another member's garage build where he mentioned them and it sent me down the PCV rabbit hole... I had to throw it on the "eventually" wishlist for now... incredible amount of info for something, that at first glance, seems like such a simple, "nothing" component.
ya, seems like a "oh really? :rolleyes:" type of thing. but between the anadotal stuff from people like slantsixdan on getting the right PVC, and a lot of articles online and in magazines, (some of which are linked on m/e wagner's site), about using one of these to tune the PVC on a built engine, makes ya wonder...anyway, i have one on the shelf for when i get the valiant running again

@Vandal if you haven't already, go to mymopar.Com and in the refrence section you can download your cars factory service manual, a wiring diagram, and a parts book. The imperial club of America has training booklets from Chrysler that are very informative.

-
Back