Help Identify Transmission

-

mopar!!!

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of parts and this transmission was included. I need to know what it fits and value. it has T10P-1B on the housing and tail housing has T10P-7A. I was told it was out of a mopar but after I got it home I don't think so. I have pictures but can't get them loaded. It has 10 spline input shaft and is stamped 67 which might be the year.

Attachments

• archive (1).zip
    521.4 KB · Views: 161
I bought a bunch of parts and this transmission was included. I need to know what it fits and value. it has T10P-1B on the housing and tail housing has T10P-7A. I was told it was out of a mopar but after I got it home I don't think so. I have pictures but can't get them loaded. It has 10 spline input shaft and is stamped 67 which might be the year.

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903 (2).JPG

I beleive that would be a T10 rock crusher, Nice
That is the best HP GM 4 speed trans you could get.

That is the equilant of a Hemi 4 speed
Don't know the value but you could hit some GM sites

A rock rusher is a Muncie M22. Not a T10

nothing is equivalent to a hemi 4 speed. The Chevy racers would use them Back in the day.

Dated 2-1-67 for 68 GM, probably Chevrolet Borg Warner T 10 cast iron case 4 speed. Back in the day, it was a much sought after transmission.

Borg Warner T10. Probably a Super T10.
The 1B is nothing more than a P/N for a main case. 1 designates main case. B is probably a revision number.
The 7A is a P/N for an extension housing.
10 spline input and blue paint is most likely Ford.
ST10s were used by Ford and AMC from 1965 to early 70s.
Ford then went to their in-house Toploader.
GM used ST10's again from 1975-73.
You might send pics to Paul Cangialosi at 5speeds.com for ID.

Muncie M22 has a 20 degree helix angle making them noisy. That's why they were called rockcrushers, not because of their strength.

Last edited:
IIRC; Mopar put the T-10 into First Gen Barracudas with the 383. I think it was a one-year only deal, maybe 1968? Those have wussy gears in them, but should be good for lo-torque engines, with performance rear gears, and street tires.IIRC, they had a slightly lower first gear in them, and slightly wider splits; but I might have that backwards...... cuz the last one I built was in the late 70s, probably 40 years ago. The BH was dual-drilled.
The gears are narrow, and light weight, with generous synchronizers, and I'm sure a hi-reving SBM would love it......
if you could figure out a way to install it, cuz obviously, neither end is native Mopar.

The T-10 was used in 1963 b-bodies.

the 833 came out in 1964 and was the only 4 speed in mopar cars RWD from then on.

they were not used in 383 barracudas.

The T-10 was used in 1963 b-bodies.

the 833 came out in 1964 and was the only 4 speed in mopar cars RWD from then on.

they were not used in 383 barracudas.
This is my recollection

T-10's were not particularly super-duper transmissions. There is also a T-10 variant was used in Studes. There was a minor difference in input shaft but I no longer remember just what that was

Borg Warner T10. Probably a Super T10.
The 1B is nothing more than a P/N for a main case. 1 designates main case. B is probably a revision number.
The 7A is a P/N for an extension housing.
10 spline input and blue paint is most likely Ford.
S10s were used by Ford and AMC from 1965 to early 70s.
Ford then went to their in-house Toploader.
GM used ST10's again from 1975-73.
You might send pics to Paul Cangialosi at 5speeds.com for ID.

Muncie M22 has a 20 degree helix angle making them noisy. That's why they were called rockcrushers, not because of their strength.
Thanks for all of your input. I sent pictures to Paul @ 5speeds.com and he says it is a AMC T-10 now who needs one

t10 "p" is AMC...shoudn,t be to hard to sell

Depends on the first gear ratio. If it's the more common 2.23 they are a dime a dozen. If it is the less common 2.43, then people will notice. If it's the 2.64, then you have something. The problem with any AMC T10 other than the 2.23 version is that they are weak transmissions. With a 2.64 and a strong 401, from what I have been told numerous times, the lifespan of the transmission is not long. A few good full power launches and the input gear and cluster gear are toast.

Depends on the first gear ratio. If it's the more common 2.23 they are a dime a dozen. If it is the less common 2.43, then people will notice. If it's the 2.64, then you have something. The problem with any AMC T10 other than the 2.23 version is that they are weak transmissions. With a 2.64 and a strong 401, from what I have been told numerous times, the lifespan of the transmission is not long. A few good full power launches and the input gear and cluster gear are toast.
Is there anyway to tell which one it is?

Sure carefully mark the output and input shafts, if possible with something larger like a yoke inserted and a clutch disc and carefully turn the input and count turns against exactly 1 turn of the output

If you are careful you can tell. A way to make it more exact and easier to see is to count the input shaft turns and get TEN turns at the output so now your 2.43 becomes 24.3 and so on. Easy.

It's easy I tell you easy.

Sure carefully mark the output and input shafts, if possible with something larger like a yoke inserted and a clutch disc and carefully turn the input and count turns against exactly 1 turn of the output

If you are careful you can tell. A way to make it more exact and easier to see is to count the input shaft turns and get TEN turns at the output so now your 2.43 becomes 24.3 and so on. Easy.

It's easy I tell you easy.

This is the best way. There are some references that state you can tell the first gear ratio by the number of grooves in the input shaft. However, there are cases where this is not accurate. 67Dart273 has the best way, for ANY manual transmission.

-
Back