Help identifying front brakes.

-
Use DOT 4 Fluid, Not DOT 3. They will not stick or freeze over time. This is the fluid recommended for these brakes. I get everything for these brakes at NAPA. Pistons . Rebuild kits , Pads , and hoses. Transfer lines are stainless I get them from Mopar Brake Parts | Jim's Auto Parts This place also carries everything you need for brakes. I go to NAPA because they deliver to the shop when I need them ASAP. Otherwise I use this source

View attachment 1715415993

View attachment 1715415994

View attachment 1715415995

View attachment 1715415997

View attachment 1715415998

Oldmanmopar
I see you rebuild alot of the K/H calipers. I have a dumb question. I assembled mine from gathered parts and apparently have the left spindle on the right and vice versa. My calipers are on the rear ward side of the rotor. Will that matter on the steering geometry ?

65-72 Kelsey Hayes disc brake, 4 piston calipers, were always mounted towards the rear, on all the A body line of cars.

Yes you are seeing it right, mine are mounted with the caliper towards the front of the car. I dont know if they were swapped on from another car or not, I bought the car this way.
Anyways it doesn't seem to affect anything steering wise on my 1967 Barracuda if that helps at all.

Oldmanmopar
I see you rebuild alot of the K/H calipers. I have a dumb question. I assembled mine from gathered parts and apparently have the left spindle on the right and vice versa. My calipers are on the rear ward side of the rotor. Will that matter on the steering geometry ?

The belong on the rear side of the spindle as seen below. And if you use 73 up single piston on a 72 back your better putting them toward the rear also. Otherwise they hit the older style stabilizer bar. First picture is a 71 4 piston on a 71. The second picture is a 73 set on a 71 using 72 roadrunner hoses.

Note that if you put either on the front they will hit the factory stabilizer on 66-72 a-bodies

20190331_181823.jpg

DSCN1673.jpg

Yes you are seeing it right, mine are mounted with the caliper towards the front of the car. I dont know if they were swapped on from another car or not, I bought the car this way.
Anyways it doesn't seem to affect anything steering wise on my 1967 Barracuda if that helps at all.
Thanks, for the reply.

Does your barracuda have a stabilizer bar?
No unfortunately mine does not.
I will be upgrading the torsion bars next year when the weather is warmer. I dont have tabs/brackets on my control arms for a stabilizer so I'm looking into that soon.

I'm hoping that the brakes wont Interfere with a sway bar if I decide that it needs one after the torsion bar upgrade.

Does your barracuda have a stabilizer bar?
No, it doesn't. what is the diff between the K/H calipers that were used on the early Mustangs and the ones for our mopars. RockAuto only has Rt side for ours but has the lefts for a mustang ?
Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread cudaguy.

Mustangs had a different location for the brake flex line rubber hose connection, on the main body of the caliper.

FYI.
If your looking for calipers, look in the for sale section, what i have, for your consideration.

FYI
Mustang hose location on the KH caliper.

Kelsey Hayes Mustang.jpg

Last edited:
Now that it's been pointed out to me , anyone have an idea as to why my calipers are mounted towards the front of my car(ie spindles from other car, or after market kit)?
And should I attempt to correct it or is it not really a problem. I should mention again that I do plan to install a sway bar someday even if I have to weld tabs to my control arms.

They are just on the wrong side. You can swap sides and it changes the location of the caliper. From th factory they are on the back to clear the stabilizer bar. The 73 and up stabilizer bar is narrower and the caliper can be on the front without hitting the stabilizer when steering the car. If you ever put a 67-72 stabilizer on the car you will have to move them to the back. If you are planning to use the aftermarket or 73-76 stabilizer you can leave them as they are. I would recommend adding a stabilizer bar . You will not believe the difference in the handling. The aftermarket bars work pretty good. I always use the factory style but only because I have them and like keeping things the way they were . But the aftermarkets seam to work much better on the cars I drove.

They are just on the wrong side. You can swap sides and it changes the location of the caliper. From th factory they are on the back to clear the stabilizer bar. The 73 and up stabilizer bar is narrower and the caliper can be on the front without hitting the stabilizer when steering the car. If you ever put a 67-72 stabilizer on the car you will have to move them to the back. If you are planning to use the aftermarket or 73-76 stabilizer you can leave them as they are. I would recommend adding a stabilizer bar . You will not believe the difference in the handling. The aftermarket bars work pretty good. I always use the factory style but only because I have them and like keeping things the way they were . But the aftermarkets seam to work much better on the cars I drove.
Ok I'll plan to swap sides as soon as it warms up outside a bit, I prefer to have it the way it should be. I do plan to add a stabilizer bar soon but first I plan to upgrade the torsion bars. The ones in it are about 13/16" or so now and the car is very "boat like" and leans alot. I planned to change them out to 1.03" or so and then see how it feels. My control arms dont have tabs so I'm looking to see if there is a way to add a stabilizer without welding but if not I'll just bite the bullet and get tabs welded on.

-
Back