HELP!!! Immediate Help Needed! Rear windshield clips

-

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
I have a glass guy coming tomorrow to put the front and rear windshields in my 73 dart swinger. I ordered the new gaskets and the new trim clips from Dante's and I'm re-using the old glass which has been cleaned and is ready to go in.

This is my issue:

The trim clips for the rear windshield came with screws for each clip to be secured in the channel. However, my rear windshield has rivets along the top and bottom where there would normally be holes for the screws to secure the trim clips (the sides of the windshield has holes, so those clips are fine). Now, I can persuade the clips onto the rivets fairly easily without bending the clips at all, but the clips then hang pretty loose on the rivet, though definitely in the right place. Should I pop them all onto the rivets and leave them hanging loose? My theory is that the rubber gasket will hold them in place and once the trim is popped on it will be secure.

Please offer any thoughts/advice. I will try to upload a picture but I believe the description above should be enough.

Thank you again FABO!!!!

-Mike

Must have had a vinyl top! I think they use different clips. My A-body used the screws. Someone else needs to chime in here!

The original vynil top material went between the trim clip and the body thus fillng the void. Drilling through where a stud was welded wont be easy. Drilling screw holes to install the clips beside their original locations would be simple enough.
I haven't had to make this decision.

I just took the glass out of a 68 Dart with out a vinal top, and the clips were screwed on all the way around. The front and rear clips are the same on this car. My 68 had a vinal top and the rivits. Those clips in the rear look like different clips than the front. I'm grinding the rivits off and drilling holes to screw in new clips.
After your glass is in, put your inside trim around the window on. Do not tighten it up, snap the chrome around the outside window in, and then tighten the inside trim. I was told that is the procedure. The back glass is held in by the trim more than the gasket. If you took your window out by yourself, then you understand how that is possible.

My 73 Swinger was a vinyl top car but the clips are screwed on! I would just cut the rivets off with pliers and drill small holes next to them for the screws. You want the clips to be tight!

By the way, supposedly the gasket is different for a vinyl top car. I had my original gasket reinstalled and everything, including the trim is tight. I don't have a vinyl top anymore.

My 73 Swinger was a vinyl top car but the clips are screwed on! I would just cut the rivets off with pliers and drill small holes next to them for the screws. You want the clips to be tight!

By the way, supposedly the gasket is different for a vinyl top car. I had my original gasket reinstalled and everything, including the trim is tight. I don't have a vinyl top anymore.

As this thread proves, there doesn't seem to be any consistency with these cars lol.

I kept the rivets and drilled holes right next to them and installed the clips. It seemed important that the clips be tight and I didn't trust the gasket to hold them in place. I also mocked up some trim without clipping it in and it seemed like it should be alright.

I have the gaskets, trim, and windshields layed out next to the car. The guy from the glass shop should be coming by my house at some point today to install the glass, but I won't be there so I'm leaving it in good faith. At least if anything leaks/breaks, it's not on me to fix it. Having a guarantee on the work is definitely worth it in some cases.

Thank you all for your responses. I probably would have left the clips hanging on the rivets if it weren't for all of you. Once again, huge kudos to FABO!

-Mike

-
Back