Help me build my 340!

-

2doorswinger

Reaction score
Going to be rebuilding my 1970 340 for my 1969 dart swinger. I'm look for 450/500 horse and im looking to save as much as possible as im also restoring the car and its almost done. The motor has a set of x heads, edelbrock air gap intake, an eddy 750 cfm carb, stock cam and stock distributor. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

Your gonna need a ton of work to get into the 450-500 range. Your easiest route will be a stroker crank and a good set of heads.

A stock stroke 340 is going to have a torque peak in the 5500rpm range with the cam needed to get you that power. Its not going to be the most street friendly thing.

Not spraying, no boost. A good port job on the x heads, a fair sized cam, air gap and 750/800 cfm carb won't get me anywhere near?

Depends on who does the head work and what you consider a fair sized cam. My old 340 made 480hp on the dyno. 11:1 compression, Ported J heads (I want to say they flowed 260cfm @.500" but that may be wrong) 260/265 @.50" solid crower cam, Ported Victor intake and a Proform 830cfm carb. HP peaked at 6900rpms, Tq came in at 425ftlbs @ 5500rpms. It needed a mix of race gas, idled at 1000rpms. Probably not the most streetable thing. the 4" stroker crank would have dropped the curve down to more street friendly levels.

you need w2 heads or w5's something with a ton of flow, then the hardware to match them up. bottom end will need to handle the rpms.

it can be done. i'm assuming pump gas that makes it a little harder but still doable. we have quite a few engine builders on this site that could make it happen.

Ive got a good engine builder up here that is well known. I just want to make the car has a similar power feel to my old car i sold. Car was a turboed 2008 mustang gt. Make 477 rwhp with a weight of 4000 lbs. This swinger is tubbed, narrowed rear end and about 2800 lbs

That's a light swinger. If it was me I would build a 400 hp motor. If I wasn't satisfied then I would put a 100 shot on it.

It is possible to get around that area without spray or boost but it wouldn't have the best street manners.

A well ported set of Edelbrock heads wi provide what you'll need in terms of air flow. The "W" series head is not needed. GoldDuster318 uses IIRC, EQ heads to get to his 470hp level. You could also do the same and ethier use more cam and-or a single plane intake.

The stroker idea is IMO and excellent idea for the amount of torque it will add. This extra stroke wod make it very streetable.

-
Back