Help me decide

-

Rbob

Reaction score
Trying to find best spot for voltage regulator, coil and Ignition module.

Its on a 67 Barracuda and I do not have the motor in so coil mounting may be an issue.

Here are some pics, no holes drilled yet so I welcome advice and opinions and pics of yours if you got em.

Attachments

• P1110224.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 193
  • P1110225.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 150
  • P1110227.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 157
  • P1110228.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 178
That coil location may interfere with the distributer. (The location you are showing in the pics.)
The distributer cap gets real close to the firewall on a smallblock. Some intake manifolds have a provision for the coil that doesn't look too bad.

The original ballast and regulator went over on the driver side on my Dart so that's where the harness was dressed. Maybe you could put the ECU on the apron over behind the wiper washer. Whatever you do you need be sure both the regulator and ECU are well grounded. Using sheet metal screws is a poor deal for that, so that means either welded in nuts, "riv nuts" or somewhere that you can reach behind with nuts on the other side, and using star locks. Either than, or a small sub-panel with a separate ground wire.

I believe this is one of the BIGGEST ignition and charging problems!!!!

Poor or no grounding!!! on the VR and ECU

I put a Weiand 8022 and no provision for coil.

Looks like I may have some room for coil:

firewall.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

Dart,

I going to mock it up like you suggested, probably look better.

The original ballast and regulator went over on the driver side on my Dart so that's where the harness was dressed. Maybe you could put the ECU on the apron over behind the wiper washer. Whatever you do you need be sure both the regulator and ECU are well grounded. Using sheet metal screws is a poor deal for that, so that means either welded in nuts, "riv nuts" or somewhere that you can reach behind with nuts on the other side, and using star locks. Either than, or a small sub-panel with a separate ground wire.

I believe this is one of the BIGGEST ignition and charging problems!!!!

Poor or no grounding!!! on the VR and ECU

Deffinately going to make sure of that!

4spdragtop, I put a Weiand 8022 and no provision for coil and I mounted power distribution to the old voltage regulator bracket.

Geo, I see you have the TRW power steering pump, what did you do for the power steering hose?

I have my coil mounted to the firewall just about where you're thinking, in an upright position.

I was just finishing up my Weiand install.

Attachments

• Weiand.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 145
I have my coil mounted to the firewall just about where you're thinking, in an upright position.

I was just finishing up my Weiand install.

Thanks for that pic, feeling better about the coil location.

Curious, how much clearance do you have air cleaner to hood?

Thanks for that pic, feeling better about the coil location.

Curious, how much clearance do you have air cleaner to hood?

It was tight, I had to go from a 3" filter to a 2". And if I was a betting man, I would guess it still just touches the front of the cover.

When I get my new engine built there will be a hole in the hood with a scoop. :D

-
Back