Help me identify this brake drum

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
My brake shop was test driving my car and the wheel came off damaging the brake drum (among other things) and he couldn't find a replacement. The axle is a "489" 8 3/4 with 10" brakes and 5x4.5 bolt pattern axles.

This is the drum after the accident:

A305F270-62E4-43BB-9E59-0B81A00F9CC6_zpsfpiljspw.jpg

They tried to "fix" it, but it must be warped or damaged some how because it drags really badly on one spot.

Here is the outside diameter:

21004410-EF1E-4C36-BDDD-482D30F72B68_zpsjdpqqxok.jpg

The internal width:

A29AAD78-60A5-42D2-8365-5651533DB1EF_zpspn3xljnv.jpg

The external width:

19CB1804-B101-4165-BA16-6C2748120379_zpswjl0k0ue.jpg

And here is a shot of the outside:

444878C3-63A5-4B4F-AC57-768AB6112E5F_zpsu3p8pgvc.jpg

I don't know where this axle came from originally, so I can't look it up by application and the shop tried about 8 different drums and never found the right one, so I don't know really where to start. Thanks for the help.

That looks like 10" x 2 1/4" drums...

Most 8 3/4" axles for abodies had 10" x 1 7/8" drums.

Those 5 small holes are a tail tail sign and that center hole looks small. It may be another deal like Trudyduster just had. Before I say too much I would like to see the measurement of the center hole.

Attachments

• iloiuygh.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 361
There was never an 11" id used on the Mopar small bolt pattern plus second set of holes are way too small to clear the 7/16 studs.

Drum looks to have the outside shroud on it and is actually a 10in drum.

I had one on my 69 dart when I bought it

And he says in the first post its a 10in drum

Drum looks to have the outside shroud on it and is actually a 10in drum.

I had one on my 69 dart when I bought it

And he says in the first post its a 10in drum

Yes you are correct about the 10". I was looking at his tape measure and didn't realize that it was od to od. The 5 smaller holes are still not big enough for SBP. The depth of a rear brake show for the sbp is only 1 3/4" and he is showing 2 1/4" but it doesn't look like the shoes were riding riding all the way out on the drum like they should be.

The best I can tell there is a big M in the upper left, 3HE just below the middle on the left and TM below that. On the bottom right is a big E. The drum fits the hub fine. The shop replaced the shoes because they hit the ground when the drum flew off. I don't know if they are the same as what was on there before, but they're 1.75".

The best I can tell there is a big M in the upper left, 3HE just below the middle on the left and TM below that. On the bottom right is a big E. The drum fits the hub fine. The shop replaced the shoes because they hit the ground when the drum flew off. I don't know if they are the same as what was on there before, but they're 1.75".

Did you scrape the paint?

on the inner hub can you get an exact measurement...im not finding any hubs with the inner at 2.25...closest i see is 2.283

I'm not sure I understand. There is no paint to scrape. These are raised letters. I took a better picture for clarification. EDIT: I missed the comment about the black marks. They are just paint from when someone painted the drum on the axle. There is a white D on the driver side and P on the passenger side.

0EF38E13-7254-4258-9C91-0A30BE8EB2E9_zps4wwhuzly.jpg

If this is an A-body axle housing someone may have had axles shortened from a C-body or especially made. I did this on several cars in the 80's including mine. I would buy C-body axles and send them to Moser who would cut them and respline to fit an A-body housing. I would use 10x2-1/2" brakes from a junkyard B-body donor. That is what these look like. Try your local auto parts store and see if they stock a 10" drum for a '70 Plymouth Satellite, see if it matches up.

I'm not sure I understand. There is no paint to scrape. These are raised letters. I took a better picture for clarification.

<a href="http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb109/Rymanrph/Barracuda/0EF38E13-7254-4258-9C91-0A30BE8EB2E9_zps4wwhuzly.jpg" target="_blank">

Those may be "Moser Engineering" axles... definitely not OEM.

The 5 spots between the studs that are sticking out. Looks like one has a white D.

Sorry I missed your earlier comment. They are just paint from when someone painted the drum on the axle. There is a white D on the driver side and P on the passenger side.

The 5 spots between the studs that are sticking out. Looks like one has a white D.

that's probably a reference mark for the left side

nevermind , just caught it lol

Try your local auto parts store and see if they stock a 10" drum for a '70 Plymouth Satellite, see if it matches up.

I would go with this ^^

-
Back