HELP ME UNDERSTAND SKIM COATING

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I picked up a wrecked '71 Demon in hopes of salvaging some patch panels before it got scrapped. No dice........The thing was completely covered in bondo. I did a little grinding, and found this stuff covering clean areas with no repairs, damage etc. I always thought that the goal was to use as little filler as possible?

Was it bondo or that super thick primer that is used to make it look like the car is straight as an arrow without doing as much panel work? In either case, that's the purpose. Completely straight, flat and aligned panels are tough so a skim coat or high build primer or even sprayable filler is used.

I've seen cars covered in a skim coat of filler but most of it comes off when block sanding. What filler is left would be very thin.

Hi Folks

I picked up a wrecked '71 Demon in hopes of salvaging some patch panels before it got scrapped. No dice........The thing was completely covered in bondo. I did a little grinding, and found this stuff covering clean areas with no repairs, damage etc. I always thought that the goal was to use as little filler as possible?
pictures

Here's an example that was all over the car. The fender in the pic was clean and showed no signs of repair pre-accident. LOL.....After attempting to clean the panels, and subsequently giving up, this colour makes me ill just looking at it:)
I'm guessing this is an example of what a shitty body job looks like. They probably used way more than they had to.
Screenshot (186).png

Skim coating is a lazy man's way out of doing proper body work.

My old '67 fastback was like that on the right side, but it was due to incredibly poor body work. The right quarter had been damaged in an accident and then a monkey with a hammer stretched things farther. Lots of mud on the quarter which now did not match the near perfect door. So, mud the door, which now didn't match the fender that was straight at the door (it had issues up front), so mud the fender. We were able to shrink the metal and get it close with much less Bondo. The cowl was also damaged on that car with no attempt to get it back to straight. Removed the AC box and was able to get it really close by just pushing it out...

Last edited:
-
Back